The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

420A Cold air intake install

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AE2499

Proven Member
Apr 20, 2020
Bakersfield, California
I have a 1998 Eclipse RS I recently bought a 420a cold air intake and there is the hose for the top but there’s also another small open tube at the bottom pipe. Is it supposed to be open or am I supposed to close it? Do I attach a plug in there to prevent it from releasing and sucking air?

I circled it in red and I am confused.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I looked up pictures of the AEM version of the 420A CAI and it doesn’t have that lower port on the pipe, I also watched a video and his didn’t have it either, so I would guess that you should just cap it off with a good quality silicone cap.

I have a 420A and installed a cold air intake very similar to yours. The top port connects to the valve cover vent stem that you have circled. The bottom port I capped using one of an assortment of caps that was large enough found at the local car parts store. I hope this helps.

I have a 1998 Eclipse RS I recently bought a 420a cold air intake and there is the hose for the top but there’s also another small open tube at the bottom pipe. Is it supposed to be open or am I supposed to close it? Do I attach a plug in there to prevent it from releasing and sucking air?

I circled it in red and I am confused.

Looks like you have an answer. FYI you do understand driving that car in the rain with that setup is a bad idea. Just thought I'd put that out there.

I looked up pictures of the AEM version of the 420A CAI and it doesn’t have that lower port on the pipe, I also watched a video and his didn’t have it either, so I would guess that you should just cap it off with a good quality silicone cap.
Yes thank you very much I plugged it.
I have a 420A and installed a cold air intake very similar to yours. The top port connects to the valve cover vent stem that you have circled. The bottom port I capped using one of an assortment of caps that was large enough found at the local car parts store. I hope this helps.

niceeee I had a question where did you mount yours ? Mines wiggles a little bit even though all clamps are tight.
Looks like you have an answer. FYI you do understand driving that car in the rain with that setup is a bad idea. Just thought I'd put that out there.
Yes, I know. Although it doesn’t really rain much where I’m from. But I’ll still keep a look out. Thanks for the information.

That's why they make "short ram intakes" or "ram air intakes". Only water that hits those is the water that goes between the bumper and hood when on the highway. My custom made intake is essentially the same as one of those.

the lower port on the intake tube was meant for 1995 MT vehicles. They came with a secondary air injection setup up that was recalled by mitsu. (see the attached pdf)

to get the intake tube mounted securely, you can use an exhaust hanger from your local parts store.
The brand is Walker, the part# is 36540

Attachments

• 95 420a eclipse recall info.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 48
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back