The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Clutch Wear

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejollyrancher

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 31, 2012
calgary, AB_Canada
Hey guys,

I'm going about changing my first clutch! I have a 1g Talon awd and I am looking to install a stage4 competition clutch I have. I have never done those before so I'm wondering what a worn clutch looks like. How much wear has this clutch and pressure plate seen? Can you tell?

Attachments

• 20140402_221108.jpg
    20140402_221108.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 74
  • 20140402_215712.jpg
    20140402_215712.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 20140402_215809.jpg
    20140402_215809.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 20140402_215839.jpg
    20140402_215839.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 20140402_215848.jpg
    20140402_215848.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
I was told it had around 5000km without any launching

How much life can I expect out of this? I know that depends on a lot of factors, But I just want a basic idea based on my mod list and the fact that I'll be daily driving mostly with a couple launches every so often. I don't want to have to change the clutch a few thousand km down the road again

You already have the clutch out. Why not just change it anyway? As for the pressure plate surface, inspect it like a brake rotor. If it's uneven or rough with ridges, change it.

I don't have the clutch out. Sorry I should have specified, this clutch is a spare I had bought a little while ago that I got for pretty cheap along with the pressure plate. I want to know if it's okay to put into my car and if so how much life has it already seen? I dont know what a worn clutch is suppose to look like. The pressure plate seems smooth, and even so according to what youre telling me that should be okay.

5000Km = 3106mi for us in the States using US Standard measurements.

I wouldn't want to put in worn parts since the friction disc may not work with the existing flywheel (which also could be somewhat worn) as the worn pads may not seat completely to the flywheel. Besides, what condition is your flywheel in since you can't see it? It could be good or, it could be worn for either resurfaced or replacement.

Also, the pads on one side of the friction disc are not as thick as they are on the other side. Plus, the material is just too close to the holding rivets on that one side to play it safe.

The pressure plate's springs could be just enough weak to really cause uneven wear with the friction disc. Sure, they do look good, but are all of the springs have the equal tension on the clutch fingers that supports the throw-out bearing?

You could get some serious clutch disc chatter and could really mess up the flywheel to where it would have to be replaced due to such practice.

Play it safe - if your clutch is getting worn down, let a shop do it right with all new or reman parts along with a new or turned flywheel.

You wouldn't want to put on worn brake pads on your vehicle, would yas ?

Sorry to pop the bad news on you, but it's for your own good and safety.

Good luck - DSM

If it was me, I'll will get a new pressure plate. A good saying is if a pressure plate has heat damage, it's junk. Also, inspect the teeth where the TOB rides on.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back