The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Clutch Is this Stock or Aftermarket?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NvDiS

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 25, 2010
Miami, Florida
the guy i bought the car claimed that it had a stage 2 ACT??

looks OEM to me what do you think ?

if so do you think its time for a new one?

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Usually Act pressure plates are yellow. The pressure plate still looks good but I need some pix from the inside. The disc could use a new one. Piece of mind is priceless.
The disc doesn't look like act to me because I just did my clutch 284 miles ago and I remember 4 little small plastic tabs coming out of the center (between the 6 springs and the input shaft hole).
I know it's a 6 puck but it looked like this... notice the 4 white tabs...
http://www.wbperformance.com/image_manager/attributes/image/image_2/_4237488146.jpg

But once again your AWD and I'm not sure if ACT incorporates what I stated into all their clutches.

+1 on the yellow---

was it stiff or did it feel OEMish? either way, it looks a bit worn around the edges... id say replace

For the record ACT doesn't advertise their clutches in "stages" so right from the get go (if you had done some research) you would have known the previous owner wasn't being honest.
Here are pictures of a ACT street disk and 2600 PP that would helpful to us to determine if your clutch/PP you currently have are worth putting back on the car.

First take a side shot of the street disk with a ruler next to it. As per ACT Technical Info the allowable wear for a disk is 2mm and their disk's are about 8mm new. So anything less than 0.25" or 6mm is out of spec and needs replaced.

For the pressure plate its a bit more difficult but you'll want a picture of the surface, making sure its nice and smooth all the way around. If there are any "steps" or noticeable un-even wear it needs replaced...

:dsm:

Thanks guys for the input ..figured guy was talking smack...Ive owned act 6 puck before on my srt ..loved it
The clutch was a little harder then oem as I remember from when I had a gs-t ..

I guess my next question if the pressure plate is good ..can I just pick up an act 6 puck plate?

Looking at the disk it looks worn around the outer edge.Check your flywheel it's a stepped flywheel . A lot of machine shops have a hard time doing these correctly. Lay a flet edge (thats really square don't use a six inch steel ruler.) The face of it has to be level. Also a equal amount has to be cut from both surfaces. Also if there is really bad burned spots or deep cracks don't use the pressure plate.To be honest with you I never reuse these parts unless I know the history and even than I usually don't bother.I have seen the damage from a clutch and pressure plate when they let go. Years ago I had a old chevy Nova. the pressure plate cracked and flew apart, went through the bell housing , though the floor boards, parts of it strucked the underside of the dash board.At first I though I lost my right foot. So from that day on I figured it's better to just replace it than use used.

For the record ACT doesn't advertise their clutches in "stages" so right from the get go (if you had done some research) you would have known the previous owner wasn't being honest.
Here are pictures of a ACT street disk and 2600 PP that would helpful to us to determine if your clutch/PP you currently have are worth putting back on the car.

First take a side shot of the street disk with a ruler next to it. As per ACT Technical Info the allowable wear for a disk is 2mm and their disk's are about 8mm new. So anything less than 0.25" or 6mm is out of spec and needs replaced.

For the pressure plate its a bit more difficult but you'll want a picture of the surface, making sure its nice and smooth all the way around. If there are any "steps" or noticeable un-even wear it needs replaced...

:dsm:

honestly Gofer your the best asset to these forums ...thanks for the info and the help once again

i have had both ACT and exedy clutches, the one that you have is stock and it looks to have plenty of life left in it. if you are wanting to upgrade i would sugest the act 2100 heavy duty street

i have a act 2600 with about a thousand miles on it that i just pulled out of my 1990 eagle talon tsi that im parting. if it will work in your car ill sell it cheap. i have pics just pm if i can help out.

That clutch kit looks to be a Competition Clutch with a carbon kevlar disc. I was running the same setup but ran into issues with the springs popping out of the disc. I think theyve since revised it with this new type of sprung disc with the springs enclosed. Im still running the Comp pressure plate. Its been good to me for going on a year and a half.

if its stiff when you push on it"barely bends" its not stock, the stock clutch is rather easy to push in, i had a act 2100 pressure plate installed on my old Gst(r.i.p.) using the oem disc

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back