The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Clutch failure after freeway offramp semi crash

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdmforwalteria

Probationary Member
Oct 26, 2012
torrance, California
So basically I just bought a pretty new used 97 eclipse gst, I was comming off a off ramp because I was going down the wrong free way and the off ramp banked way harder than I expected, going to fast my brakes locked up and i drifted side ways, my car hopped over like almost a foot of curb and into a 45 degree downward angle of ice plant and dirt. stuck and unable to drive my way out, I had to get it towed out, at first the car had power, and with no check engine lights and minor structural damage to the car I was going to attempt to drive it home. Then I noticed the clutch felt weird, like every time I shifted the reach got longer and longer untill it would only engage right as i fully depressed the clutch, then nothing. My engine was still running and there were no leaks under my car that i could see (it was at night). So I towed it to a shop and are hopefully gonna get it diagnosed tomorrow. Any idea what that might be specifcally though? how much is this gonna cost me? Is it my clutch or tranny? I honestly dont know too much about clutches or transmissions I'm kinda mechanically inclined but no master or anything. thanks

It could be a number of things. Kind of sounds like a master or slave cylinder issue but may not be. You may have knocked something loose when you hit that curb or worse cracked your bell housing. I doubt it's your transmission itself though, probably a clutch/pressure plate/throw out bearing issue. You won't know until you look at it.

Thanks man, Ill post what comes up tomorrow. Hopefully something in expensive but you never know.

sounds like you may have punctured a hole in the line to the slave or ruined the slave itself. Hydraulic clutch systems don't take to air so well. ;)

Now, after it gets fixed no more driving like you are in hazzard county. Them duke boys are up to no good... ROFL

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back