The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Clutch failure?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1995mitsuGSX

Probationary Member
Sep 14, 2011
Greenup, Kentucky
Hi all, I recently installed a new Cxracing 16g in my GSX. I hopped in her a lil bit ago (4th drive since install) with my friend and went down the road. I pull out on to the highway and lay into her, no launch, 1st to 2nd up to around 60 just showing off a bit before my sidemount heatsoaked.

I didn't notice anything wrong right away except that my 5th gear is a little notchy normally and this time it wasn't, it fell right in smoother than it ever has. I noticed it feeling different but thought maybe it was my fairly new (less than 2k) Jacks tranny starting to break in a little.

Then I pulled up to a red light and I had to work to get her in first. I didn't have to jam it in, just play with it for a couple seconds, and I thought it was weird again but it shifted like butter thru all gears again so I dismissed it. When we arrived at my buddys house and I turn the key off and start to walk away (I have a tt so my car stays running) when I hear a noise like metallic scratching coming from the engine bay. I go back and pop my hood and can't see anything, but I remembered my shifting irregularities so I get in and push the clutch down and it stops and starts again when I let it out.

My question is what do you think it is, it is obviously clutch /transmission related but what exactly is screwed up? t.o. bearing, clutch fork, pressure plate. I'm running a Fidanza v1 assembly and its rated to 300 and I don't think I exceeded that with my set up.

Also I had my friend rock the car to see if I could see the bellhousing seperate from the block. It didn't but you could hear a loud thump with every rock like if you weren't looking at the bellhousing not move you would think it was loose exact same sound.

So any ideas guys the car still runs and drives just harder to get in gear and louder at idle also the clutch doesn't slip. And I'm sorry for this book but I like to tell all the information I can when i have a problem. thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Check the front roll-stop mount to make sure it isn't seperated. I had some shifting problems in my 98 GST and it turned out that with the bad roll-stop mount it allowed my shift fork to sometimes come in contact with the edge of the frame member, making shifting difficult.

Thanks for the idea I went out and played around rocking it and it wasn't close to the roll stop. I also shook the end of the clutch fork and it was solid no play like if the tob had become unclipped. Then I started her up and it seemed fine no noise and I took her down road and it shifted fine. I really can't explain it its a dsm so I know it didn't fix itself LOL. Could b heat related I haven't drove it for any extended time yet. But I just can't explain it

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back