The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Charcaol canister vent (pic)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nek

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Alright, charcoal questions are getting old. But I was removing my charcoal canister today. And I thought what I had was the venting fuel line (red), going into a one way filter (blue), venting under my car (yellow). But then later on when I was looking around I found (green).
1) Is red line the one going to the fuel tank?
2) If so does my setup look alright, should work no problem right?
3) What is green
4) I want to mount my battery all the way down there, should I be worried about fume detonation?

Thanks team.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Keywords : gas vent charcoal canister emissions removal pictures picture battery fire LOL

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Air conditioning drain line
4. I wouldn't worry about mounting my battery there.

Thanks turbosax.
For all those looking to still do this.
1)Remove battery/ support/tray (All bolts are 12 mm)
In order of removal. (2 holding battery bar down, 0 holding battery down, 0 holding plastic tray down, 4 holding metal tray down, 2 holding battery support bar, and 2 holding charcoal canister belt)
2)Unbolt canister using the latch on the belt.
3)2g(96) canister has 2 ports. 1 is vented from the factory the other can be taken off at this point.
4) The canister itself can now be removed.
5) 3 items are connected to the canister support belt total. One goes to the fuel tank (marked blue in picture) the other two can be completely removed(marked purple below). Pull all vacuum lines going to the other two valves.
6) Take Red line (tank) through blue (one way filter) and vent yellow line under your car so fumes dont fill your engine / cabin.
7) Follow vacuum lines pulled to their respective location and either plug that location or continue to remove the lines.
I believe there are 5 total. Make sure you block your intake (pre turbo).

Everything purple can be removed. The blue is your filter you want to keep in your tank vent track.
(Thanks jm1080 I borrowed your picture )
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Follow this link for pics on vac line routing and removing!

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...-speed-shop-vacuum-diagram-removal-1g-2g.html

Today I finally got my charcoal canister removed and egr blocked off after a nipple on the egr solenoid was broken while reinstalling my engine.

Regarding the check valve that goes from the fuel tank to the charcoal canister, is it supposed to flow only one way? Is it designed to hold pressure and then release it after a certain psi?

I took the valve off to take a look at it and if I blow through it, it's very difficult to blow through. Takes a lot of effort to get air to the other side. Also, it's actually easier to blow through the opposite way that it's supposed to be hooked up...Am i supposed to be able to blow through that direction at all?

Can I just put a one way valve on the vent line instead of the oem valve?

I think the part number on the valve is MB925886 if anybody was wondering :)

It acts almost the same as your radiator cap. It will not let pressure flow out untill it reaches a certain psi. Being that it is closed untill a certain psi, you will not be able to blow through both sides when there is pressure.
When you hold it in the air and blow through it, it is not closed because there is no pressure on the other side.

Out of curiosity, why not just block that line completely and get a vented fill cap for your fuel fill cap? I had done that on my supra without any problems, has anyone done or tried that here?

Out of curiosity, why not just block that line completely and get a vented fill cap for your fuel fill cap? I had done that on my supra without any problems, has anyone done or tried that here?

I cannot answer this for sure but it was my understanding that our fuel caps were also designed to release once they reached a certain pressure as a fail safe. I believe that the valve is a safer way to do this so you do not need to rely on the cap. If your cap is broken you will continue to build pressure without the valve..

Unless you mean vented completely? But I dont think I would want my fuel vapors being vented through my fuel door.

No you can buy a vented fuel cap that comes on most of the older cars out there that are non EGR. Or if you have the means and time, you can all ways install a tip over valve into your OEM fuel tank and vent the tank that way. There are a lot of methods to do that, it just depends on what you want to do and how you wish to go about it. But again, I used this method on my 89 supra a while back when I removed the charcoal canister.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back