The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Changing fluid in NV-T350. Couple questions.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thec1arity

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 17, 2010
Tempe, Arizona
So, it's been a while since I've posted here. One of the posts I made close to a year ago stated that my 98 eclipse GS was popping out of 5th gear. Since then, it's developed a nasty rattling in 1st and 2nd gear ONLY when it's had time to cool down for a few hours.

My thought was to change the tranny fluid and see what happened. Upon draining it, I noticed that gear oil was coming out not mopar/mittsubishi oil or any type of ATF. The only thing I can think of is that the guy that owned it before me put it in there not knowing anything about the NV-T350.

My question is this. If I let it drain for a bit and put some ATF+4 in it, will the slight mix screw anything up further? Also, what's the possible damage that stuff caused?

Thanks.

Just drain it and re-fill it with the ATF+4, drive it for a while, and change it again. The fluid is less than $4 a quart so there should be no reason not to do a "flush" cycle in between.

The biggest bi*** of this job is getting the fluid back into the trans as they conveniently located the fill plug about an inch from the body of the car. Thank god for my suction gun!

Just drain it and re-fill it with the ATF+4, drive it for a while, and change it again. The fluid is less than $4 a quart so there should be no reason not to do a "flush" cycle in between.

The biggest bi*** of this job is getting the fluid back into the trans as they conveniently located the fill plug about an inch from the body of the car. Thank god for my suction gun!

Yeah, I got something that I think will work for getting it back in.

Thing is, I'm moving back home to Phoenix from Houston in a little over a week so I want to make sure this thing doesn't give me hell on my drive there.

Worst case is that the syncros were ruined by the gear oil that was in there.

Just fill it up via the reverse switch hole. Do not waste your time with the fill plug.

Yeah, that fill plug is very difficult to get out. The only way you can even get to it is if you have the hands of a small child. I got mine out when I changed my fluid by smashing my hand up there, but I would not do it again.

This is the fluid you are supposed to run.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I bought mine from the dodge dealership.

Yeah, thing is I'm not willing to pay the money for it. I understand that the atf+4 isn't made for it, but apparently people have run it with great success. Based off how poorly it was running before I really don't think ANYTHING I put in it could have made it worse. Only time will tell.

I was able to get to the fill plug after taking the driver's side wheel off. A long pair of pliers mixed with a funnel with a long tube did the trick. So far, no noises and it seems to shift a bit more smoothly.

I'm going to wait for a few hours and fire it up later tonight when it's had enough time to cool down just to see if the noises have gone. I'll let you guys know.

Thanks for the help.

Drove to work today without any noises or issues. I no longer have to be embarassed about driving it in the morning!

It seems to be running much better. Next time I change it hopefully it will get the rest of that gear oil out.

So I noticed a little bit of chatter today on my way back from work. It only really did it when I first stared it up for a couple seconds then went away. Just going to monitor it closely and see what happens.

As far as temperature goes would gear oil or atf+4 be better as dispersing high temps?

ATF +4 was recommended by the dealer for people in colder climates as it offered better shift characteristics in colder temps...

The Mopar stuff is great for this trans, as well at Redline's MTL. (NOT MT90...) The MTL is very similar property wise to the Mopar stuff. A friend of mine runs it in his Neon after running the Mopar fluid for a while.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back