The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

center diff problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GORBS88

15+ Year Contributor
May 26, 2004
Oliver, BC_Canada
hey guys just doing a centerdiff swap in my car and having some troubles.
When i install the center diff down into the tranny it seems to go down to far and it binds up with one of the lower gears. Seems i have to shim it up abit but not sure if thats the right thing to do or not. Do i pull the bearing off the carrier and shim it there or pull the race from the housing and shim that up??
HELP>
has anyone had this problem before??

It feels good when the end cover is off but when you start to snug it down the gear on the lower section off the center diff binds with one of the gears on the intermediate shaft.

thanx

You need to remove the bearings from the center differential you are installing, and the races that are in the transmission case for both sides of the center differential -- they are MATCHED PAIRS -- you will trash it if you install a mismatched bearing to race -- I repeat -- DO NOT REUSE NON-MATCHING BEARINGS AND RACES!!!

As for shimming, you need to do it under the outer center differential tapered roller bearing RACE to set preload. You will need to pull the race out of the intermediate case, and re-shim it properly. If you do not know what you are doing, please refer to a transmission rebuild manual or VFAQ.

You will need to press on new center differential tapered roller bearings and remove old/install new bearing races into your transmission cases.

You also need to make sure that you have the proper center differential for your car as there were changes over the years.

You need to remove the bearings from the center differential you are installing, and the races that are in the transmission case for both sides of the center differential -- they are MATCHED PAIRS -- you will trash it if you install a mismatched bearing to race -- I repeat -- DO NOT REUSE NON-MATCHING BEARINGS AND RACES!!!

As for shimming, you need to do it under the outer center differential tapered roller bearing RACE to set preload. You will need to pull the race out of the intermediate case, and re-shim it properly. If you do not know what you are doing, please refer to a transmission rebuild manual or VFAQ.

You will need to press on new center differential tapered roller bearings and remove old/install new bearing races into your transmission cases.

You also need to make sure that you have the proper center differential for your car as there were changes over the years.

thanx for all the info, i have now resolved the problem.
The donar center diff was SUPPOSED to be from a 92 but turned out to be from a 91 which WILL NOT work.
I got the right diff in there and is all good now.

thanx

The donar center diff was SUPPOSED to be from a 92 but turned out to be from a 91 which WILL NOT work.

thanx

Good to hear! Good luck man!

thanx
Thread update per moderators
The difference is the gear pitch on the main center diff body that mates to the intermediate shaft. 90 and 91 have a different gear pitch than 92 up. Although physically interchangeable as units 90 and 91 center diffs are different internally also. 90 have a different style lower shim inside and the body is machined differently to accept that shim and they are not interchangeable.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back