The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Trans Fluid Additive or Center Diff problem??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atari007

20+ Year Contributor
Apr 18, 2002
Jacksonville, Florida
I just got my 95 Talon Tsi AWD 3 days ago... The day after I bought it I noticed that when I turn in reverse I hear some strange rattling/pinging noises from the back... all in all I have found this online:

*Rear wheels don't want to turn going around tight low speed right or left turns.
*Nasty clunking coming from transmission area.
*Car feels like it's being held back, may even die, when trying to backup and turn left or right.

I fit all of these (and there were a few more symptoms that I dont have) ... and the website (http://www.geocities.com/spencerhut/talon/center_differential_repair.htm) said that it was my center diff... I talked to my mechanic and he said that he is pretty sure that when someone changed the trans fluid they left out some kind of additive that awd cars need... he said it you dont have that additive, it will do the same thing and I WILL bust my rearend.. do you guys know anything about this?? Sigh... this sucks... I just got this car... (but besides that, it is freakin sweet! LOL)... thanx guys--

Atari007

Your mechanic is an idiot. Walk away from him.

There is no 'magic additive'. There is a Mitsubishi made Friction Modifier that helps syncro engagement in the tranny but nothing for the diffs. Sounds to me like you have a busted center diff.

Jack the car up on all 4 wheels. Spin one of the rear tires. Does the other spin? Which direction? (Should be opposite of the one you are spinning) Now go spin the front tires. What does the front do? Can you hear the grinding? Do the rears rotate as well?

That sucks.. :) I havent been out there to jack the car completely up yet to test that, but if it is the diff, how much is that going to be to replace? (minus labor)...

Atari007

Originally posted by Atari007
That sucks.. :) I havent been out there to jack the car completely up yet to test that, but if it is the diff, how much is that going to be to replace? (minus labor)...

Atari007

You don't want to know. :D

When/if I blow my front/center diff, I will be purchasing a Quaiffe or Kaaz Limited Slip Differential. ~$850 for the front and ~$1250 for the center. Not including labor.

Hey what exactly is a friction modifier. I think I have a syncro problem. I would like to give it a shot and see if it helps. Where can i get some

Its a tranny fluid additive for Mitsu style single cone synchro setups (like our 90-92 trannies). Only available from Mitsu dealers and even then its a special order now since they have no reason to keep them in stock. ~$10 a bottle. I will have the part number tonight and post it so you can order it by part number if you want.

Rack this under my "I-am-so-anal-I-change-my-fluids-monthly" approach on car maintenance but I have heard good things from trusted sources who have been modding and maintaining these cars long before most of the 'tuners' that are out there today.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back