The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Carbonetics fender flares install write up

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have just installed the carbonetics carbon fiber fender flares and am going to give a run down on what goes into it, hopefully this will help anyone doing it in the future, and maybe save some time.
The install seems straight forward but can be quite tedious.

Things you'll need:
Masking tape
A marker
Drill and multiple drill bits
Rasps
Rat tall rasp
Sand paper
Mounting hardware (I personally used rivnuts as advised by others, and is definitely the way to go)
Optional but strongly recommended: rivnut tool
And bolts of your choice.

I personally got 6mm by 20mm length aluminum dome head bolts (normal dome head not narrow) from pro bolts usa, (as advised by others) and they look amazing,
At First I just order the 24 I needed, but I later ordered 6 spares in case I strip one, have not yet though.

Color is up to you, I'm not a fan of silver but something about widebody bolts just look good with silver, so that's what I went with, and it's the only silver on the car.

Now the first thing you'll do is take the one with the fuel door notch, and you'll need to file it down with the rasp a good amount, until it sits flat on the car when pressed against it, just keep taking off a bit at a time, you need to take off a lot.
Once that is done, take one of the plastic washers from the aluminum bolt kit, line it up as low in the bolt notch on the flare, without climbing up the slant to much, a tiny bit is fine, fill in the middle with marker, do this with all 24.
Drill a small pilot hole in the middle of the mark, then drill a hole just big enough for the bolt to fit through for now.
It's nice to run a rats tall rasp around the inside to clean it.
Now mount the flares with masking tape where you want them, I'll include pictures of where mine are.
IMPORTANT NOTE WHEN DOING THIS, when you eventually tighten down the bolts on the flares, it moves the outer edge a bit, it will pull it into the car about 10mm, and I think it moves the edge up a little bit, but not to much, and that is 10mm difference from me pressing the bolt notches into the car, NOT just taped on.

On the front flares, you have two options for placement, the First is the way they seem to be formed, with the front bolt on the bumper and it being fairly level, but I've only seen that once, the other way and what I did, is to shift it or rotate it to the rear pretty much all the way, this moves the front bolt to the fender and in my opinion looks amazing,
Once you have them taped up, press them into the car so the sit flush (I had another person to help) and color in the drill holes with marker.
Remove flares, drill pilot hole, then drill a 9mm (I believe) but In my case I didn't have metric so I used 11/32nds (had to wiggle it a bit to get the right size)
WARNER: when drilling the front drivers side, a huge wiring harness runs right under the fender, please take the time to remove the fender well and pull it down out of the way...I learned that the hard way.
Ok, to install the rivnuts (by far the hardest thing in this install)
It should be easiest with a tool, I bought the cheapest tool I could find on Ebay for $21 seeing as this is all I needed it for right now,
The bit for the 6mm rivnut striped itself on the first one haha, but I did get stainless steel rivnuts, it might have worked for aluminum I dont know.
Good tools are like $60.
if you're going with a tool, skip this part.

So I ended up doing it the wrench and
ratchet way, and it was a huge pain to get them to catch and not rotate with the nut.
You'll need a long 6mm bolt, at least 2 inches preferably more, a nut and washers, there was no one way that worked for me, I think the way that worked the best was a normal washer, then three copper washers then another washer.
You put all that on the bolt, screws it so its through all the threads of the rivnut, hold the back of the bolt with the ratchet and push fairly hard in, turn the nut with the washers in between it and the rivnut, hopefully the rivnut dose not turn and starts to crush, tighten pretty snug, if the rivnut keeps turning with the nut without catching, I wish a had a good answer for you, but the good news is on the front flares, you can get to the back and put some vise grips on the back of the rivnut, so those are easy.

Once you have them all installed, you probably need to drill the holes on the flares out a couple sizes bigger, as long as the hole is not big enough to be seen with the bolt pushed to one side of it, you're fine.

Now, I personally did spacers to line the wheels up, I made the mistake of measuring them while taped and pressed onto the car, (but remember it pulls it in when tightened down, so I'd recommend measuring for spacers after you can mount them and I know more wait time sucks)

Note, both rear bolts on the rear flares are in the plastic bumper, the rivnuts worked fine on the plastic though. But the left rear flare has a little gap at that back tip, to help this a good bit, I pulled the rivnut out, and put a washer and nut on the back side to fasten it, you should be able to get your hand to the back of that one.

If you have any questions, just ask, hope this helps

Attachments

• 20200501_091001.jpg
    20200501_091001.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 204
  • 20200501_091012.jpg
    20200501_091012.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 226
  • 20200501_091155.jpg
    20200501_091155.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 205
  • 20200501_091237.jpg
    20200501_091237.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 196
  • 20200501_090934.jpg
    20200501_090934.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 189
  • 20200501_090950.jpg
    20200501_090950.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 196
What size spacers did you use? And did you use the same size spacers front and back? I did the same but my rims don't fit my evo 10 brembos only 8 so im ordering spacer 15mm. My only question is if I get the same size spacer all the way around will it fill out the carbon flares evenly because the back flares look a little bit wider.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back