The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Hood pin install

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This article will describe how to install hood pins. This was performed on a 1g but will be the same for a 2g. On a 2g you might need to find a different spot to mount the pins.

Make sure you have good drill bits or it is going to take awhile to get through the hood. i used a corded drill so i wouldn't have to worry about a battery going dead or lack of power from the battery getting weaker.

First you need to pick a spot that you feel is strong enough to support the hood. I picked the sides of the upper radiator support.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Next you have to drill a hole where the hood pins will be located. I don't have a picture of this step but it should be obvious. You can measure to make sure they are in the exact same spot. I just went by my eyes since they can't be off much where I mounted them.

After you drill the holes you want to screw one of the nuts on each one. Screw it on all they way up so the pin will sit down as far as possible. Then insert the pin in the hole and screw on (don't tighten) the bottom nut.

Now put a drop of something like grease on top of each pin. I used anti sieze because it was the only thing i had around.

Put the hood down so it sits on top of the pins. Whatever you put on top of the pins will mark where you need to drill in the hood.

You will have to drill where the grease is on the hood. Drill from the under side of the hood. Once you get through you will need to elongate the holes in order for the pins to go through the hood. After you elongate the holes you will want to raise the hood pins so that the holes in them will be just over the top of the hood when it is closed. You might need to elongate the holes a little more now since you raised the pins.

Once the hood can close all the way and the hole in the hood pins are just over the top of the hood you will need to put the circular plate around the pin and drill pilot holes for the screws that will hold that piece on. Use a drill bit that is about half the size of the screws. Then just install the screws.

Finished:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back