The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

car won't move in reverse acts locked.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1990TSIAWDTALON

Nov 14, 2013
Independence, Kansas
So the the car now has more problems and when I shift into reverse it acts like its locked up and will die but all forward gears work ok. Has this happend to anyone else? ?t

Yeah I had the endcover off. Its realy on Matt's car. All nuts tite. Had to put one dog back in and retainer ring and wave spring but all looked good. Ill check linkage asap. It seems locked rite now.

Yeah but its only reverse. I lean to bad shift fork cause I know the endcase side ia good. I really wanna check out the shift cable to. It gradually got worse he said. Thx for the knowledge!

Yeah it slowly got worse. But it shouldnt be a clutch, shifter cable or TOB problem because they would all effect more than just one gear... im leaning towards something broke on the inside of the trans or a problem with the reverse idler gear (though im not sure what the reverse idler gear does, someone mentioned the problem could possibly have to do with that)

So Victor, your tranmission actually locked up because of a bad throw out bearing. How did the throwout bearing effect the trans in such a way? I know you have been around these things for quite awhile while I am just new, but new to these cars, I'm a old hand at anything chevy and could probably fix them with my eyes closed. This just baffles me and I sure hate to take the trans out but that will definately tell me what is wrong. If we remove it, I can take that end cover off then i think the next plate is the rear bearing support and I should be able to see with my own eyes what is wrong and believe me, I or we will both post the fix and pictures if possible. Thanks buddy!!! :)

I know I'm bumping but I forgot to mention that as soon as my Factory Service Manuals get here in a week or so I can look at the exploded diagram. The ones in my Chiltons and his "generic" manual are very vague in the transmission section.

So Victor, your tranmission actually locked up because of a bad throw out bearing. How did the throwout bearing effect the trans in such a way? I know you have been around these things for quite awhile while I am just new, but new to these cars, I'm a old hand at anything chevy and could probably fix them with my eyes closed. This just baffles me and I sure hate to take the trans out but that will definately tell me what is wrong. If we remove it, I can take that end cover off then i think the next plate is the rear bearing support and I should be able to see with my own eyes what is wrong and believe me, I or we will both post the fix and pictures if possible. Thanks buddy!!! :)

I know I'm bumping but I forgot to mention that as soon as my Factory Service Manuals get here in a week or so I can look at the exploded diagram. The ones in my Chiltons and his "generic" manual are very vague in the transmission section.
Why wait.
http://www.lilevo.com/mirage/Manual...5M2X-F5M3X-W5M3X Series PWEE8902-ABCD 22A.pdf

I won't have to know. Thanks Vic!!!!

Sorry Donnie, I was reading Victors post, thanks for the link so I can look right now. All you guys are so wonderful to have to guide me. Marty

Ok so yesterday the car moved in reverse - once. If left in reverse it continued to stay engaged but the shifter moved towards the nuetral gate when it was working. Not sure what to think of that but just posting an update. This couldn't have anything to do with a transfer case problem could it? Since it is puzzling, I just wanted to put that out there. Any new comments or follow ups are welcome. Thanks

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back