The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Car vibrates/shakes

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birdii

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 7, 2005
ON, ON_Canada
When the car is in park the car idles perfect at 1000rpms with no shaking or vibrating it feels like a new car…. But when I put it into drive and come to the 1st stop light the rpms slowly drops between 500 – 800rpms and the car starts to vibrate and shake… soon I steer the steering wheel left or right it goes to 1000rpms then drops to 500rpms… no idea why this happening… I had this problem ever since I bought the vehicle around 5 months ago….

I appreciate any help

thx

auto 99 eclipse n/t

hmm. well i knew this was an automatic trans. concern when i first read it. something with the tourqe shift when putting it into drive makes the RPM"s go down some. im not sure as to waht that could be as i dont know anything about auto trans. but.....
as far as your wheels turning and your idle RPM's surging..your power steering pumps/belts may need attention. check the fluid in your power steering reservoir on a FLAT surface to make sure that you are getting an accurate reading, also listen for any awkward pump noise when the hood is open. have someone turn the wheels and check out the whole steering system.
My 95 NT did this as well especially when the engine was cold..I determined it to be the engine accomidating for the power the power steering took away from the motor..with the use of the belt/pumps. good luck man :thumb: :thumb:

could be an ecu problem with your timing.Im unsure as to why it happens when you steer maybe it puts a great load on your crank.

thx for the help so far :) but i forgot to mention that the steering thing only happens when im at a full stop.. but when driving its okay....

this what was done since i bought the car

oil changes
radiator flush
transmission flush
fuel injector cleaning
short ram aem intake
front and rear brakes
replaced 2 fan belts
timing belt
water pump
cover gasket
NGK Power Platinum BKR6EGP
MSD Sparkplug wires
fuel filter
pcv valves
optima battery

ive experienced this auto vibration, its an idle vibration that doesnt occur during cruise or any other situation on in D. Its more the engine being under load that causes the vibration. Turn your A/C on all the way and turn your brights on at idle in Park. If you feel the vibration a little its load based. Its probably a motor mount issue.

alexg1323 said:
ive experienced this auto vibration, its an idle vibration that doesnt occur during cruise or any other situation on in D. Its more the engine being under load that causes the vibration. Turn your A/C on all the way and turn your brights on at idle in Park. If you feel the vibration a little its load based. Its probably a motor mount issue.

is costly to replace engine mounts?

thx

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back