The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

Cap off overflowing????

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backinajiffy12

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 31, 2008
Shakopee, Minnesota
Ok so today my car went past the 3rd line on a 4 mile round trip. and i was like WTF . so i wanted to see if the coolant was flowing and it wasnt? and after a second it started to overflow and bubble over. does that mean my thermostat is bad?

When you say third line, you are referring to your gauge correct? If your thermostat is stuck closed then yes, you will overheat. Check to make sure your fans are working. Let it idle and when it gets to operating temp the fans should eventually come on. If it just keeps heating up with no fan action then its your fan motor, a fuse, or your thermosensor. If the fans come on and it still heats up, I'd go for the thermostat.

Hope this helps. :laser:

And you shouldn't remove the cap when it's hot. It'll usually bubble over even if everything is working.

... i guess we'll assume your talking about 3/4 line on your temp gauge?

LASER4G63T is correct, don't touch that coolant cap when the cars running and especially not when its overheating! i saw my buddy get blasted in the face with one because of all the pressure build up from his car overheating.

its your thermostat not opening up, a quick $10.00 fix (and don't forget to buy a new o-ring for it too) you can be 100% sure its the thermostat if you just take your old one out and install everything back then see if the car starts overheating, thats a lot more work though just to save a few bucks.

:dsm:

Might as well do what I said before spending any money. i JUST had this problem. It was a bad fan motor, not a thermostat. :thumb: But ya, like i said it usually is the thermostat. There are just things to check before spending money though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back