The Central Hub for DSM Community and Information

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. This is where the DSM platform history is documented and archived. Log in to help us in our mission, and to remove most ads from the browsing experience.

Can a newbie like myself change a timing belt?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98FWDSM

15+ Year Contributor
180
0
Jul 27, 2003
ok, my car has 124K miles on it and for all i know it has the factory belts on it...so i will be replacing all the belts and also the water pump, oil seals, and tensioners. What I need to know is if it is worth it to fork out almost $500 bucks for the dealership to install it all or should I do it myself? Also, is there anything else that I should be replacing? The most advanced thing I have probably done is swapping out a turbo...so on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the hardest, how hard is this all to do and also where would I mess up and do it wrong??

Thanks :dsm:
 
I recomend doing it yourself, I mean you have to start learing some time. Just get your self a manual and take you time. If you always take it in to get done you will never learn.
 
Lunch_Box said:
I recomend doing it yourself, I mean you have to start learing some time.

I agreed, but not on a timing belt job. I suggest taking it to a local dsm shop, most of them charges around $250 for timing belt. Good luck.
 
Lunch_Box said:
I recomend doing it yourself, I mean you have to start learing some time. Just get your self a manual and take you time. If you always take it in to get done you will never learn.

I agree...after doing all the work I did to my car, I've saved thousands in labor and learned how to do it myself. It gave me the confidence to tackle just about anything now. See if you can find someone who knows how or has done it before to be on call just in case you need some direction. I honestly think it just takes some time and patience, not that bad.
 
oldman said:
I agreed, but not on a timing belt job. I suggest taking it to a local dsm shop, most of them charges around $250 for timing belt. Good luck.


Why not on a timing belt job? It was one of the first things that I did to my old car. Just take your time and check everything twice.
 
Go for it! I've done it all to my car, as far as pulled the motor and more. The water pump was by far the biggest pain in my opinion. There is so little room over there, but it isn't that difficult, just a pain. Label all your hardware and what not, and take your time and do it right and you'll be fine. When you think about it, it's all just bolts and nuts!

Dan
 
The very first real work I did on a ANY car was a timing job on a DSM. There was NO WAY I was paying that much for a TB job on a car I paid so little for. Get out the factory manual, read the VFAQ on it and if you take your time and have a decent head on your shoulders you'll be ok. Just know that if you screw it up you could be looking at having to do it AGAIN but with another couple hundred for head repairs or replacment.

I have also worked in industrial mainteance for several years and I'm generally machanically inclined. Is it physically difficult? ..not really. Is is technically difficult? Not too bad ..but what details there are you have to pay very close attention to. search for posts on it and read a number of them, its good to know what your getting into and they provide usefull insight.

My opinion on this is similar to a previous poster. IF your looking to put work into your car and speed it up you should buck up and learn how to do this..you have to start somewhere.
If you don't plan on doing any work to your car just pay the shop and get it done with the "safe" way.
 
With basic tools, mechanical ability, and attention to detail, you should be able to do it. As others have suggested, read (and print) the vfaq guide to supplement your shop manual. Although it can be done without the tensioner tool, it is not worth the additional time and frustration. Get the tool.

On the other hand, if you can find a shop that will replace your t-belt, water pump, tensioner, rollers, and other belts for $500, that’s a pretty good deal.

As Eclipsed said, find a helper. Even an experience helper can watch the timing marks for you while you turn the crank.
 
98FWDSM said:
ok, my car has 124K miles on it and for all i know it has the factory belts on it...so i will be replacing all the belts and also the water pump, oil seals, and tensioners. What I need to know is if it is worth it to fork out almost $500 bucks for the dealership to install it all or should I do it myself? Also, is there anything else that I should be replacing? The most advanced thing I have probably done is swapping out a turbo...so on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the hardest, how hard is this all to do and also where would I mess up and do it wrong?? Thanks :dsm:

First of all let me compliment you on actually REALIZING that you should change out more than just the T Belt & do the Front Case Oil Seals, etc... You are not exactly a NEWBIE anymore. Add a BSE Kit to that List (you'll have front Case off anyway) - & IF YOU CAN HAVE IT OFF THE ROAD FOR A FEW DAYS & take your sweet time - do it yourself.
 
i would say try it if you have a lot of time on your hands and also in case all doesnt go well make sure you dont need the car in case it goes down. Also make sure you have that AAA number ready also :p
 
no matter what you are doing to your car, big or small, TAKE YOUR TIME AND CHECK EVERYTHING TWICE. I have seen too much damage to mine, and other cars for not paying attention and having enough time to finish the job.
 
Do you have the correct torque wrenches? I wouldn't do the job without them. Other than that, if you have a good socket wrench set and other basic tools, it is certainly doable. If you have someone knowledgeable whom you can ask questions, then go for it.
 
Dont let anybody discourage you!! The first major thing I did with my car was an engine swap :sosad: I did most of that alone, with references from vfaq, dsmtalk, and my Haynes and a couple other people willing to help me out. It wasnt fun, but it got done. Now with that said, after you do an engine swap, you can pretty much do anything on the car that you need to do without a shop. Triple-quadruple check everything, use plastic bags with sharpee marker for hardware, have your manual and all other references handy before you start the job, and have a parts runner car. Have a good flashlight too, (i recommend a head light, one that goes on your head). Buy some thread locker too, use that stuff, its almost God, especially when you swap in poly motor mounts and BS elimination.
 
Good thing this fella asked this question because i am about to tackle the same job of timing belt and water pump.....

I have changed out a timing belt on my other white talon, but that was with the engine out of the car.......

I think it will be more difficult with the engine still in the car.

I have seen some complete morons change their timing belts by themselves, why cant I?

I have a pretty good amount of tools that i need and a place to do it incase it runs longer then a day project......

im gunna go for it and do it on my own........

Now i just need to find a cheap place to buy a good timing belt and water pump and im set......
 
Don't do it without someone who has done at least 1 on a DSM before... you don't want to have your timing off and screw your head the first few cranks of the engine...
 
You can do it. If it's your first time, make sure you can stand a couple days of downtime, because it will be slow-going. Just make sure you double and triple check everything -- and if you're unsure of something, redo it.
 
Add Value - Be Respectful - No Trolling - No Misinformation - Participate Often!
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back
Top