The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Cam sensor or crankshaft position sensor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colt90tsi

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 28, 2007
Lake Stevens, Washington
I am in the process of rebuilding my 7bolt and I am a little confused on this one. I was pulling my block apart when I accidently pulled the wires out of the Crankshaft Position Sensor, I then noticed another sensor that looks identical to the crankshaft sensor mounted up right below the Intake timing gear, I thought it was the camshaft position sensor but from the diagram in my Chiltons it seems as if the camshaft positioning sensor is on the opposite side of the motor, by the throttle body. The CPS that I just broke has a triangler plug and the sensor mounted to the head has a square plug. What is this sensor??

Here is a pic:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Also another question, I found this hole in the transmission, I am assuming this is the fill plug hole, what goes in there ? is it just a little rubber plug or what?

Thanks for the help guys, its apperciated.

On 95-96 the CAS is behind intake cam gear - on 97-99 it's on the passenger side of intake camshaft.

The fill hole has a bolt in it. That looks more like where the rubber air breather goes (if that's the tranny top) - I have a FWD so it looks a little different.

Ok I see now, thank you for the input guys.

I now have a new problem LOL. I went out and bought another crank sensor, I inspected it and everything looked good until I got home and compared sensors ( I know , I shoulda brought the old sensor with me) On the new sensor I bought, the mounting tab( circled in red) mounting holes are farther apart and the tab is longer then the my old CPS. So this brings me to think that the guy sold me a cps for a 97-99, it still has the triangle plug however. Now my question is what is the difference between the two? Can I still use it if its a 97-99 CPS. The motor this is going onto is out of my 95 GSX 7 bolt.

Here is a pic for clarification, thanks for any input fellow dsmers! (note- i know the sensor in the pic is the cam sensor, but same concept.)

Crank sensors will vary from year to year, i know from experience from ordering the wrong ones. If the mounting tab area is different, I would not attempt to use it, as that could throw off your readings ( I would assume). Take it back and compare it with ones of other year models. I went to Advance and ordered a 99 crank sensor for my 99 4g64 spyder. When it came in, the mounting tabs on it and the plug in were the exact same as my old one, LOL, but the wiring harness was about a foot and a half too short. Went back and ordered one for a 98.

Ok thanks man, I went down to autozone and priced one out and they are running $69.99 , for $5 more I can go pick up a brand new OEM one. Should I be buying this part OEM Mitsubishi like I would a timing belt, or do you think a generic one will work fine?

Most of the generic electronics work fine. Lol, keep in mind, mitsubishi doesnt have the best electronics in the world anyway. But if you can get a real OEM piece for $5 more, then for sure go with Mitsu. I have replaced just about every sensor on my Spyder with BWD brand pieces from Advance, and every one of them works fine. But.....then theres the BUT. I recently replaced a coil pack on a ford escape with an aftermarket one from Advance, and it worked fine for all of about 15 minutes. So I figured it was just a bad piece, so I took it back and got another one for free. Did the same thing. Took it back and got my money back. I payed 10 bucks more for an OEM coil pack and that solved the problem. Also, I had an 04 SRT-4, and the cam angle sensor went out. I replaced it with one from Advance or Autozone....can't remember. It worked fine for 2 days then started acting up again. Replaced it with an OEM piece and no more troubles. So.

For the most part you can run aftermarket electronics without problems, but if you can get OEM pieces for not much more, then for sure eliminate any variables and buy real parts.

Caleb

Ok we now have ANOTHER problem, this whole cps thing is really pissin me off.. So I bought another Crank Sensor off another member on here, he swears it was pulled off a 95 GSX and I believe him. So I recieved the sensor and found out it is the same one I got before, the tab is to long and the holes are to far apart. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE VERIFY WHAT SENSOR THIS IS? THE YEAR, AND IS IT THE CAMSHAFT POSITIONING SENSOR OR THE CRANKSHAFT POSITIONING SENSOR!?

Thanks guys I apperciate all your help

Now I am reaalllly confused. I just spoke with my local Mitsu dealer and they said that the crankshaft positioning sensor should be the same and fit all 94-99 7 bolt engines.. But the crankshaft sensor that was pulled off my car (1995) is different, it still has a triangular plug, but the sensor itself is different in size.. What the hell is going onn????

Ok we now have ANOTHER problem, this whole cps thing is really pissin me off.. So I bought another Crank Sensor off another member on here, he swears it was pulled off a 95 GSX and I believe him. So I recieved the sensor and found out it is the same one I got before, the tab is to long and the holes are to far apart. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE VERIFY WHAT SENSOR THIS IS? THE YEAR, AND IS IT THE CAMSHAFT POSITIONING SENSOR OR THE CRANKSHAFT POSITIONING SENSOR!?

Thanks guys I apperciate all your help

The plug on the 95 crank sensor is triangular so that looks like the crank sensor but why the holes don't line up I have no idea :confused:.

Ok I think I have an answer for you. I have a 99 and not seen a 95-96 camshaft angle sensor (which is different) but I think that is what you have (pic in post 8). I say this because it looks like the pickup part of your senser is on the side which is where it would be to pick up the signal on a cam gear. Also there appears not to be a slot on the end for the crankshaft sensing blade to go through. Look at the pic of my 99 crankshaft position sensor here. You have the age old problem of some people calling the CPS a camshaft position sensor while others say it's a crankshaft position sensor. Same with CAS being called a camshaft angle sensor while others say it's a crankshaft angle sensor. See here for full explaination and straight skinny: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/problem-diagnosis/272874-oh-god-code-0340-a.html#post151302110. So order a crankshaft position sensor - not a CPS to avoid confusion. Note: Even Mitsu has the names mixed up however, so you have to describe where it goes to get the right one. ROFL

Attachments

• Crank Position Sensor 2gT.jpg
    Crank Position Sensor 2gT.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 14,205
Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

So your saying I have a 97-99 Crankshaft Positioning Sensor? Or Camshaft sensor? On the sensor I just recieved it does have a slot for the sensing blade to run through, you just cant see it in pic. Yeh this whole CPS CAS blah blah blah stuff has me confused LOL, but I get it now. Bottom line is I need to order a 95 crank position sensor, which im guessing will have a triangular plug , and the sensor itself will look much like the CAMSHAFT positioning sensor in post # 1 with a slot for the sensing blade of course.. :banghead:

Ok I was wrong. The pic in post 8 is a crankshaft position sensor CPS (At the time I mistakenly was looking at post 1's pic thinking it was post 8's pic). All 2g CPS have a triangular plug and as far as I know, 95-99 are all the same. So I can't explain why the holes don't match up (you took the old one off your engine? If not, did you try to match the new ones holes on the engine itself?). The sensor size shouldn't matter as long as it has the proper slot for the sensing blade and fits in the holes properly. Maybe 95-96 (called the 2ga model) is different than 97-99 (called 2gb) as vanilla gorilla thinks but that would be news to me. Sounds like you should get a 95 one from Mitsu.

According to CAPS, all crank angle sensors (the sensor in the picture luv2rallye posted) are the same. Obviously as he stated before, the 95-96 camshaft position sensor (as CAPS calls it) is different than the 97-99.

So, for verification, you need the sensor that luv2rallye posted - the one that's near the crank? Or do you need the one that's near the intake cam?

Any way you could post up some more pictures showing the trouble you're running into?

Crankshaft sensor (cps)from 95-99 are the same look at picture 1.Picture 2 is the camshaft sensor (cas) for 95-96 picture 3 is a picture of a camshaft sensor (cas) from a 97-99

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back