The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Cam recommendation

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeschmo101

Probationary Member
Jul 16, 2015
Edmonton, AB_Canada
I know I know, this has been posted a million times. I've figured out every other part of my build (besides which IM) besides this.

Relevant mods:
-2.3 stroker 9:1 comp
-hx35, 12cm² parked to me peepers mani
-stock head for now
-probably some SMIM

Goals: Fully stripped street legal drag car. Wish to rev to 8000 rpm. Depending how the Hx35 performs, I might move to a hx40 (would like room to grow)

Possible contenders:

GSC R2:
-built for strokers
- 4000-8500 rpm
-peak lift 12.0mm
-extra 6° duration over S2's
From what I've read, strokers benefit from more duration and lift due to them flowing more air.

With such high lift on the R2's, do I have to worry about any interference? Any other can recommendations?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Tomei poncams. I plan on going with a set of them, albeit for a 2.1 LR de-stroker. I've heard only good things about them though.

Otherwise you'll want to check pistons to valve clearance with any cams that size.

Check valve clearance with clay and flycut the pistons if needed at the reliefs for the higher lift.

Tomei poncams. I plan on going with a set of them, albeit for a 2.1 LR de-stroker. I've heard only good things about them though.

Otherwise you'll want to check pistons to valve clearance with any cams that size.

Look a little small, fitting somewhere between the comp 280/ cosworth m1. Thanks for the suggestion tho.

Do they have cams that will fit directly in the head of a dsm? I have started to think about cams, but thought those were only available for the evo 8/9. I thought something was different about the cam trigger or something, but haven’t researched that far yet.

A buddy had a set on a SR20 setup and loved them.

Look a little small, fitting somewhere between the comp 280/ cosworth m1. Thanks for the suggestion tho.

They do spec a bit on the small side, but most that have used/reviewed them say they work like the next size up cam (260 is more like a 270 etc.). Technically you could use the evo cams in a DSM, but you need to do some figuring for that.

Do they have cams that will fit directly in the head of a dsm? I have started to think about cams, but thought those were only available for the evo 8/9. I thought something was different about the cam trigger or something, but haven’t researched that far yet.

A buddy had a set on a SR20 setup and loved them.

They do the 280s for the evo1-3, but say they require solid adjusters (which kinda reinforces the fact that these working bigger than advertised).

I'll be using a Kia head on my next rendition of things, so I'll be able to use the Evo style cams for more options.
As stated, you "could" use the Evo cams in a DSM, it's just more work and you'd lose any kind of warranty on them from tomei.

If you're going that large then there are some better economical and practical choices that will give similar results.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back