The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Cam cap stripped bolt hole

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xandrew245x

Proven Member
Jul 18, 2015
Gardners, Pennsylvania
I know this is a very common problem but I can't find an answer to my exact question. I am going to drill it out and fix it with a helicoil the problem is I'm not sure how to remove the alignment dowel without damaging it. I got ahold of it with a pair of small pliers but it's really tight and won't budge. Any auggestions?

I'm afraid of squeezing it to hard and warping it out of round and ruining the dowel. I tried heat with no luck. I'm going to keep trying.

When trying the heat trick, point it at the alum of the head & try to shield the heat from the pin. The alum should change size more than the steel of the pin.

Got it out, drilled tapped and installed the helicoil, was tightening the bolt in and the bolt broke off, I literally can not catch a break.

The bolt got really snug before it was even the whole way in so I kept tightening it and it broke off.

I'm pretty certain what happened was the tang of the helicoil wasn't completely broken off and the bolt hit it and was trying to thread the helicoil further which put to much stress on the bolt.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back