The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Busted My Trans Last Night

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

habitatguy187

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 20, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana
I blew up another TOB last saturday night, so I pulled the trans sunday night, cleaned and inspecting everything, put a new one in, and installed brand new OEM master and slave cylinders.

I drove it about 50 miles to and from work yesterday all good. Went out last night with some new friends around 10 o clock. Well at around 1:30 after doing a small highway "pull" my shifter felt funny, so I threw it in neutral to see what was going on, but I kept slowing down like it was in gear.

Gave it some gas and sure enough it was still in gear, I got off on the next exit thinking on my shifter cables had come off or something. Coming to a stop the car tried to die so without really thinking about it I put it in 2nd at about 10mph, let off the clutch and the wheels locked up :notgood: . We pushed the car about 25 feet into the nearest parking space and it was jerking and bucking the whole time, looking back I should've just started it in neutral and put some heat on the clutch to get it over there, but I was tired and mad and didn't really care at that point.

So I'm at a serious cross roads right now. I'm thinking about parting the car out, when I busted that first TOB fall of 08' I've been having transmission problems ever since. I've spent well over $500 and probably 40+ hours working on driveline related issues, I'm just over it. If I can pick up a cheap transmission I might keep it and give it one more go, but I'm pretty close to the point of just parting it out and start building a real car, done right, which would take me a long time or a good job to get the ball rolling on, in all honesty it probably wouldn't be done by next summer, and I don't know if I have the patience for that. I can't really imagine driving nothing but my dd prelude and the wife's tucson for a year and a half.

..........................this sucks

Sorry to hear that, I went thru 3 transmissions, 13 clutches, 2 TOB's and one set of shifter cables in mine. I am a little rough on the driveline. Don't give up, you will miss it, I know I did.

Oliver

Sounds like you broke a shift fork in the trans. This is why you couldn't get it out of gear. When you put it into another gear, you were in 2 gears at once, bad for the trans to say the least.

Sounds like you broke a shift fork in the trans. This is why you couldn't get it out of gear. When you put it into another gear, you were in 2 gears at once, bad for the trans to say the least.

What are the odds that I damaged something else along with that fork?

Agreed, you either broke a shift fork, or a roll pin. The forks are aluminum and hopefully didn't do much damage to the gear cluster, if any at all. The forks are also easy to replace. Are there any DSM Guru's around you, that rebuild transmissions?

Look into Jack's Transmissions. Great company and awesome guy. He is also on this forum.

Jacks Transmissions LLC — Mitsubishi

I'd love to but a fwd trans isn't worth it to me. I think I may part it out and slowly build an awd, which would suck to wait on, but be worth it in the end. I'm tired of having a useless or boost-limited 1st and 2nd gear anyway.

Although there is the possibility of getting a used trans for around $150, which if that's the case, I'll buy it and swap it in.

A spring on your clutch disk might have popped out, same thing happened to my spec last year. Had it rebuilt and now it's good as new...

Went from this:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

To this:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Only cost $150...

That'd be nice if it's the case. I'm going to get the car home tonight but I'm not sure when I'm going to pull the trans, maybe sunday night, idk. It doesn't take very long I just don't have tons of motivation right now.

I know how you feel, it took me almost 3 months to get it up and running after that. It took forever to get the motivation to finally get it back on the road.

I'm on 6 months now for a lifted head, happened only 2 months after the clutch so as you can imagine I REEEEEEEALY don't have ANY motivation...

I bet it's a spring issue actually. I've broken more springs than I can count!

Only one way to find out. Pull apart, inspect, and replace as necessary.

I got the car home last night and drained the trans fluid, it was very "sparkly". So it's done, if I can't find a trans for $150 or less then I'm parting it out and saving for an awd. The interior/body is waaaaay to bad to sell it as is LOL, unless someone wants a fwd race car.

Ahh I'm in the same boat as you. I just blew my clutch again and it was properly adjusted and installed by Jack Transmissions since I had some warranty work done, so I know it was done right. Im tired of these breaking down transmissions. Even an employee at Jacks said he went with an Evo since the dsm's trannys break so much and thats coming from a tranny shop.

So I think Im done with the breaking of dsm drivetrains. I always loved these cars but when your making 350lbtq and breaking clutches and trannys that should handle more power its time to give up. Im going to build up my 3rd gen TOYOTA 4RUNNER, and do some offroading. At least it will me a little more reliable.

Also look into dogbox racing.....very cheap quick turn around and honest work....website is dogboxracing.com

meh.. I save the abuse for the few passes I make at full power. Either that or go auto... theres always a ppg dogbox too. these things brake. Ive been fairly lucky. The stock gears aren't going to like the s372 though, haha.

My friend has a 1g turbo/built neon, he plays with stock transmissions still, and we can change a transmission at the track in 32 min, thats car up, trans out/in and car down and ready to go.

Auto can get boring after awhile.our $1200 race build trans held up to many low 9 second passes in our shop cars....jst some food for thought. either way good luck with the car:thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back