The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Lost 5th Gear last night

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unior

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 10, 2002
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
yup driving around - not even punching it and i noticed that the shifter felt all fubared towards 5th and reverse

car drive fine home in 1-4th gear but there is resistance when going for 5th

shift linkage looks fine

i also heard some clunking noises on the way home

i have parked the car for now - looks like im swapping in my spare trans

any guesses as to what came loose?

i will post pics later when i tear it apart

instead of doing a tranny swap just take 5th gear off yuour spare tranny and put it in the old one that way all you have t o do is take the little cover off instead of doing a whole tranny swap

EDIT: When you say resistance do you mean it just wont go in or its grinding and wont go in?

notractiongst said:
instead of doing a tranny swap just take 5th gear off yuour spare tranny and put it in the old one that way all you have t o do is take the little cover off instead of doing a whole tranny swap

EDIT: When you say resistance do you mean it just wont go in or its grinding and wont go in?

well, going for 5th gear feels like your hitting a brick wall....like i'm not trying to force it or anything....but i imagine you could put tons of force on it - and your not gonna get it in any gear.....

maybe i will try pulling the rear cover first to see what i can do

i just don't wanna drive around and grenade the thing beyond the point where i can rebuild it

yeah i gotta finish a bs removal job in another car to get my garage freed up

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back