The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Rix Racing

I lost 5th Gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrashGNX

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 19, 2004
Brighton, Tennessee
So, I was messing around a while ago doing some 2nd gear pulls in front of the house one night and my transmission (Manual 5-speed AWD) made a loud WHACK sound, everything still worked ok at the time and I didnt see any holes or leaks so I put it back in its normal spot in the car lot (my side yard) A few weeks later I took it back out and drove it down the street a bit, 5th gear started popping out bad, it had done it before and it was getting worse but now I had to hold it in gear with force pretty much. I took it back to the house and went to park it, figured out reverse was really bad, would shove it right back out with me holding it in gear if I let out on the clutch to much. Parked it again and started looking for another transmission for it. Noticed the smell of gear oil but couldnt find a leak (didnt tear anything apart) and didnt see any holes in the case. figured I just broke something internally and the trans has 180k on it so it was definitely due for replacement. 1-4 worked fine still so a few months later I took it out for a quick spin and went down the road 1-4 and went to shift to 5th at about 90MPH heard a quick grind and a small thunk then nothing. It felt like I put the car in neutral but was in 5th and I coulnd get it back out. finally yanked on it after I slowed down and got it back out of 5th into neutral, drove back to the house in 1-4th and parked it in its spot. Good news is reverse is fixed, bad news is 5th is completely gone! well crap, oh well needs a new one anyway. Got a built transmission on ebay for cheap, planned on sending mine to sheptrans but caught this deal on ebay for $1000 total and it was alread built and had upgraded parts and a 4 spider diff. Finally got to starting the swap last night and when I took the dust shield off the passenger side I found 5th gear! see below.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Well I found most of it anyway :aha:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back