The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Building my custom exhaust from my downpipe back

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2GEEZEY

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 6, 2009
Elgin, Illinois
Right now i have the apexi n1 on my car bolted up to a megan racing downpipe.

It has quite a few bends so i was thinking of picking up like a 6 ft straight aluminized steel pipe, or just mandrel bent, weld on a flange to bolt up to the downpipe, and weld a 45 degree angle pipe to it and either cut off my apexi muffler or buy a new one.

one question, should i use a mig or tig welder for this?

will be posting pics

Tig for sure check out my profile pics to see mine.

I can pull some decent beads on a harbor freight MIG, got it for like 89.00 before I bought my TIG. I did exhaust all day.

really depends on your skills too though. if you cant tig weld good enough to get full penetration throughout the whole series of welds there is no sense in using it.( not to say you cant weld cause obviously I dont know you.) but if you can mig weld better i would mig weld it. just my input.

I work at a stainless steel pipe facility that is ISO 9001:2000 certified and all of our welds are machine TIG welded and hand repaired using TIG. I say TIG but that is just my experience and I think TIG is pretty easy.

Last edited:
Alright guys! so today i called up meineke and asked for some pipe. They have a 10 ft piece for $55! All aluminized steel. I will be going there to pick it up and get the install moving.

check back later for some pics of install

alright so i cut the resonators out and put 3 inch in its place, and i cut all the piping to run directly underneath the gas tank. I cut a bend so it goes from the straight piece of exhaust, right underneath the gas tank and a 50 degree angle to weld the muffler to.

should i coat the exhaust or do something else being that its ran underneath the gas tank?

I coated mine with high temp flat black for two reasons, one being to prevent it from rusting, and two, keeps it lower profile, and looks better with the panda.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back