The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Build thread/blog.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drivemusicnow

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 15, 2004
Germany, Europe
Soo, I guess this is where people put their build threads and such now. I've been working on this car on and off for a while now. I just thought I'd throw up a few progress pictures and see what people thought. The car is going to be raced in NASA ST2 class. This class is entirely Hp:weight limited and due to the current weight of myself and the car, I will be limited to approximately 330HP to all four wheels.

Some specs:
AEM EMS running speed density
Built head on top of a ross/eagle built 2.0 shortblock. Lightened/knifedged crankshaft. Spare built 2.3 liter block on an engine stand, and another stock 2.0 sitting in the corner.
GVR4 RS TRE built road race transmission.
FP green turbo with a tial 38mm wastegate and 3 inch exhaust
custom 2 pass radiator with another small rad in the rear of the vehicle.
Passanger side is a small Momo corsa seat with a 5pt latch and link harness, driver side is an ultrashield pro road race seat with a 6 pt camlock harness.
Fiberglass dash, hood, and hatch, with lexan front and rear.

Looks like a hell of a setup, man...so many parts cut from the front it's not funny! Would you go into a bit more detail about NASA ST2? I was thinking about racing my 1g GST in it, and since it's a lighter car it would be more limited in HP. Whats' the required ratio?

The PT/ST/SU classes from Nasa are a good place to start racing. In the Performance touring classes, it's based mostly on modification points that bump you up classes. In ST, it's entirely based on a modified hp:weight ratio. My cutoff point is 8.7:1 which means that my car at race weight of 2900 (250 of that is me :toobad:) can have 333 awhp, or I'd get bumped up to ST2. the cutoff between ST1 and SU is 5.something. (think a 500whp car that weighs 2500 lbs with driver.

This should be competitive in ST2. The chassis itself probably has less than 10K miles on it (it's been a race car since 2000). no rust anywhere, 4 bolt rear, wilwood 13" racing brake setup, full coilover suspension, Fuel cell, etc.

PM me if you want some more details, or check out www.nasaproracing.com for the actual rules for performance touring.

Wow, is that nice looking! More info on "custom 2 pass radiator with another small rad in the rear of the vehicle"? What's your suspension setup?

The radiator is a two pass radiator as it it enters from the bottom, goes from passanger side to drivers side, then up, then back to the passenger side to the endtank and exit. I'll try and throw a picture up at some point. The rear radiator you can see in the last picture. It's a small radiator connected to the lines that typically go to the heater core. It also has a small fan that helps keep things cool just in case.

Suspension is pretty weak right now. I have Ksport coilovers with my spring rates specified. The front Polk control arm broke, so I'm looking to get some more made with a taller ball joint to correct lowered susp. geometry. I have the RM rear swaybar that will be tried out with some adjustable end links. if the rear is too stiff, i'll swap back to the stock bar. I just want to get the car back together so I can run some events this season.

it is super cool to see someone preparing a 1g for racing!! i know i would die to do something like that with my "project" dsm. Have a blast and live the dream man

I wish I had the means to do that. I would love to build my GST. The pocketbook is pretty thin right now. I guess I will have to wait until I get out of college. Oh well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back