The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Bronze coating on FP race manifold

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nice, although the housing doesn't look that nice. I always liked the polished look. If it was me, I would have painted it black and colored in the FP logo.

Nice, although the housing doesn't look that nice. I always liked the polished look. If it was me, I would have painted it black and colored in the FP logo.

Everything else is going to be black. You need something to break it up, otherwise it will just be boring. . Also if the manifold didn't have hot exhaust running through it, I would have painted the fp logo red. I just don't want to deal with the red flaking off.

Yeah we really liked it but we decided to paint it after talking with a company that sends stuff to Swain tech. i guess the white will tan from the heat after a while.

Did they tell you what kind of paint to use over the white, and what the temperature rating of the top coat paint should be?

Gary

Did they tell you what kind of paint to use over the white, and what the temperature rating of the top coat paint should be?

Gary

He said any high heat paint and he seemed really confident. He said that the coating is probably the best insulater on the market and it should keep most of the heat in. That said, I used VHT flameproof paint that is rated up to 2000 degrees. I would at the very least used Duplicolor 1200 degree paint to do this. Also I don't know how you would prep the Swain Tech coating, so handle it with clean hands before you paint it. The rough surface is really nice for laying very light and thin coats which is important with any high heat paint.

Can you give us some more info on Swain Tech Coatings? How much does it cost to get parts coated?

Do you have pictures of the manifold with the VHT?

How is it holding up? What are your engine bay temps at?

I had mine ceramic coated black, the place that did the work said the "coating" that was there, well they didn't notice it. They blasted it like everything else and said that what ever was on there came off so easy they didn't notice it, but they noticed some other shit that was previously powdercoated.

So does that high temp engine paint really work?
I been waiting to paint mines bacl or gray or something, Ive had my Fp mani for like 6, 7 months now and I didnt get a coated version, and honestly it looks like crap right now.
Its like a nasty used charcoal gray right now, it lost its original color after about 2 months of daily driving. No rust though...

Can you give us some more info on Swain Tech Coatings? How much does it cost to get parts coated?

Do you have pictures of the manifold with the VHT?

How is it holding up? What are your engine bay temps at?

sorry I haven't been by a computer in a few days. Anyway I don't have underhood temps as I didn't have anything to compare it to before. The coating was all done during the 6 bolt build. I will say that the high heat paint is holding up very well with no signs of cracking. It did develope a slight tan haze to it from the heat but it is still on there. I am taking it off this winter to clean it up and spray it again because of an oil leak at the valve cover. I tried to whip it off but it is in there kind of deep.

here is a pic of it. We went with a subtle color change from the white that swain tech is.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Black Bullet, I think the high heat paint will work until you really get the manifold hot. My buddy did black on his 2g manifold and it turned dark gray, but he never really beats on the car. I think that the paint on the manifold above is doing well because of the boundary thermal layer of swain tech coating.

Does swain tech do a black ? or is this exhaust coating only in white? I'm thinking about maybe doing the turbine housing in this coating.

Only white, but they say that the coating should be enough of a barrier to paint over which is what we did without any issues. Just make sure that you keep the parts very clean for a few heat cycles so that the paint can cure.

How much do they charge to do a manifold and turbo exhaust housing? I ask because they do not list pricing, they price based on what you want coated and I didn't see anything on there site that would give an estimate.

I sent in my BEP turbine housing, O2 housing and dump tube to be coated. They charged me like $160. They didn't give me specific prices on what's what.

Thats not TOO bad for what you get I suppose. I figure that coating on m Evo III manifold plus my heat shield should seriously reduce under hood temps. I am toying with the idea of maybe eventually upgrading to a FP manifold. I am just not sure if it's really worth it as the Evo III flows decently. So I am trying to decide, upgrade to a FP and get it coated or just get my Evo III manifold coated.

I just called them to get a price quote on my new FP manifold (hopefully coming soon - as they sold the last one the morning I ordered mine :() and Swain Tech told me that it would be about $235 just for the manifold! It would be another $90-$125 for the hotside of my Evo III 16G that is still pretty much brand new! I'm hoping someone here that had them do work for them can tell me that they've increased their prices since they've had their work done by them. He also said cost has a lot to do with prep time.... but my manifold won't even come out of the box until it's in their hands!? I'll keep you all posted as I work right down the street from them and didn't even know it!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back