The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Borg Warner S200 (Bullseye S256) Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I haven't seen the T3 4 bolt or 5 bolt, but the 6 bolt looks REALLY good. Wayne, are the T3 4 bolt and 5 bolt housings Bullseye units or cast BW units?

For the record, one big reason why 70-90 times mean squat is because some people get the numbers from a third gear pull (2500-->whenever), and some people get them through logs from actual runs at the drag strip (which is what I'm assuming most people actually do when they correlate the time with an ET).

Edit: ignore the whole 70-90 discussion entirely.

Unfortunately, this creates a huge difference in the times since the car has more momentum when you go through second before third. I've personally seen differences as high as .3 seconds on my old Evo 3 setup (3.0 vs. 2.7). Gateway International Raceway closes much earlier than the east coast strips it seems, so I can't really get any numbers until next spring.

My 70 to 90 was 2.0 when I trapped 111.4mph. This is on a 16g. I can't figure out why my topend sucked, but whatever.

Someone else on this board had this turbo, can't remember his name but I remember he crashed is car, and he was getting 70 to 90 times in the 1.7x area and trapped 119 on pumpgas and 27psi.

Smaller turbos will get a better 70-90 time for a given MPH because they spool quicker, that's why most people trapping over 120 use 80-100. The times can still vary greatly with turbo size, displacement, gearing, and accuracy of your speedo (1g vs 2g), so it's really only useful for comparing against your own numbers to see if the car is faster with tuning changes.

That was me with the S256 that trapped 119, the new car has an S258 in the .70 T3 housing and I just ran 11.82 @ 122.8, pedalling the gas and spinning literally the whole way down the track. My 80-100 was 1.57. I'll attach the log.

Mitsu Bolt on Housing
T3 4 bolt
T3 5 bolt SVO
T3 6 bolt

Bear in mind that the T3 4/5 bolt housings are the same AR as the bolt-on, just with a T3 inlet/out flange. The T3 .70 that I have is also available, and I believe they're making it with a v-band outlet now. The 6 bolt is a divided T3 inlet. They're all BEP castings except the divided one. Here's a link to my pics, including the .70 housing next to the bolt-on:

http://web.mac.com/stevestrzempek/iWeb/Cars/My '90 TSi.html

Steve, is the divided .70 T3 you have a Bullseye unit or a separate offering from Borg Warner? It's sort of hard to understand from that last paragraph you wrote, although I'd think it was a BW piece.

Steve, is the divided .70 T3 you have a Bullseye unit or a separate offering from Borg Warner? It's sort of hard to understand from that last paragraph you wrote, although I'd think it was a BW piece.

.70 T3 is undivided, made by Bullseye (4 bolt or v-band out)
.55 Mitsu bolt-on and T3, made by Bullseye
.76 Divided T3, made by Borg Warner (also available in bigger AR)

For some reason my log didn't show up as an attachment in the last post.

Attachments

• run11232007-1.dat
    32.2 KB · Views: 145
Wow, *very* good flow out of that turbo! Boost recovery is a little slower than I thought it would be. Perhaps the lack of a ball bearing center section does hurt a bit. It looks like your shift times were ~0.3s, but boost recovery is at least another second. (This is based on BoostEST so it may not be that accurate.)

Of course most around here are used to even larger turbos with even worse boost recovery. :) My weenie L1R recovers full boost about 0.3s after the shift.

Wow, *very* good flow out of that turbo! Boost recovery is a little slower than I thought it would be. Perhaps the lack of a ball bearing center section does hurt a bit. It looks like your shift times were ~0.3s, but boost recovery is at least another second. (This is based on BoostEST so it may not be that accurate.)

Heh, if only I'd logged TPS.... I was SLOOOWWWLY easing it back to WOT after each shift. If I'd just floored it (or used NLTS), it would've just gone sideways on me. As it was, I was fighting to keep it straight. Once I get real tires I'll post another log to show what the boost recovery is really like. I attached a pic of my dyno graph, gives a little better idea of where the power comes in.

Attachments

• SteveS258pump.jpg
    SteveS258pump.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,506
IS the with the stock intake manifold still??

The oil inlet is tapped to BPT. British pipe thread see how i have two fittings.

Attachments

• HPIM1324.jpg
    HPIM1324.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,335
The BW turbos are downfiring turbos, so it depends on how your intercooler piping is setup. In most cases, I would say yes, you will need a 90* elbow (whether it be a weld on, pipe, or coupler)

If you look at a T25, it is in fact a down facing turbo, but the outlet faces the passenger side of the car (hence where the SMIC is located). Your stock intercooler plumbing would have to be modified with some sort of 90* angle and then some in order to make it work.

Updated the review a little more. To keep anyone keeping up with the thread from having to look for it--

E85
So, I realized that the Dejon SMIC isn't really cutting it anymore but I don't have the money to drop on a FMIC or injection kit right now. I did however have 20 bucks to upgrade to FIC950's after some hawking on the classifieds, so I went with that and some E85 instead. The stuff is definitely strong enough to make up for my lack of intercooler, and between the latent heat and extra octane all the knock is gone. So far all I've done is adjust my global fuel and adjust for LTFTs, lean the WOT map out to ~10.5:1, and zero out my timing map. The car feels much better now that it actually has some timing and the 70-90 is down to 1.9 seconds. Nothing else has changed, including boost and peak airflow. With any luck the tranny will hold up to a little more abuse and I'll be able to up the boost some more before dynoing or trying to make a pass down the track. Log for this data is run02242008-4 two third gear pulls.

About 4 months have gone by now, although two of those consisted of limping around on a dying clutch and breaking the new one in. The turbo is still fine in terms of shaft-play and blow by (zero). I haven't had any troubles with this thing, knock on wood.

Are you running an internal or external gate? What size?

Thanks - Looking to swap my old skool H3 for a 256 or 258. I'm also debating whether or not to run E85 or not.

I am running an external gate, and definitely use E85 if you have the ability to tune with it.

My block and head is all stock. I was running between 21-22psi and at the time with an OK tune and not so great of a launch and a nasty bottle neck before the throttle body. This year that will be replaced and a way better tune on 22-25psi.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back