The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

GVR-4 Bolt on turbo recommendation

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikellinos

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 20, 2010
LM, Europe
2.0 long rod, 8.8 CR, ported head, standard size valves, kelfords 272, ID1000 injectors, walbro450, AEM series 2.
Currently i have a td05-20g with billet compressor wheel and 9 blade turbine wheel.
I want to upgrade to something bigger with more top end power. The car is FWD running only on pump gas.
I already searched many old threads and I'm between 2 turbo: FP black or holset super HX40 with the BEP .55 A/R bolt on.
I'm leaning towards the HX40 for 2 reasons, future upgrade to t3 housing and for the price.
What do you guys recommend between the 2 and why?
Thank you.

500whp and pump gas probably ain’t gonna happen with a bolt on turbo. FP Red is a great all around turbo, and will get you 500whp (with E85 m most likely).

500whp and pump gas probably ain’t gonna happen with a bolt on turbo. FP Red is a great all around turbo, and will get you 500whp (with E85 m most likely).
So better to go with something smaller? I have an opportunity to buy a used tubular t3 manifold with a used Garrett GTX3071 with undivided .63 A/R t3 housing for 1200 dollars

To make 500whp on pump is gonna take a good size turbo (which will come with a good bit of lag) along with a standalone EMS, most likely. If you can convert the car to E85, that opens up the possibilities to more turbos.

what brand T3 manifold is it? I’m leery about buying used turbos, unless I know the person very well that I bought it from. The 3071 won’t come close to 500whp on 93 octane. Might get there on E85 or race gas.

The manifold is made from Maperformance, the turbo is in good condition, i know the car where was installed before and the guy upgraded for something larger, on his car with stock cams did 601whp with race gas, he had 20psi at 4300rpm

The manifold is made from Maperformance, the turbo is in good condition, i know the car where was installed before and the guy upgraded for something larger, on his car with stock cams did 601whp with race gas, he had 20psi at 4300rpm
What turbo did he do that on? Def wasn’t the 3071

What turbo did he do that on? Def wasn’t the 3071
Was the 3071 with VP racing gas, manifold wasn't the Maperformance. The car had power until 7000rpm. That was like 6 years ago, wasn't dynojet and i can't guarantee how accurate was that number but it showed 601whp. Anyway im not here to proof something, not my car i really don't care, i just want opinions to decide my next turbo.
Maybe i will get the deal with the 3071 to see where i will reach and if I'm not satisfied i can upgrade with different t3 turbo.

Finally i decided and i bought a used Maperformance t3 manifold and a new Borg Warner S257XE 7670 with single scroll T3 AGP .82 A/R housing. I have to weld a v-band for the tial mvr 44mm and when everything is ready i will post how everything goes, boost, spool etc.

We made 480whp all in on that turbo. And that was all in at 32psi. That was with a .84 T4 housing. You can expect to see peak torque between 5000-5500. We use a very honest reading Dyno.

We made 480whp all in on that turbo. And that was all in at 32psi. That was with a .84 T4 housing. You can expect to see peak torque between 5000-5500. We use a very honest reading Dyno.
Was that way up in CO mile high air? Would the numbers be even better closer to sea level? I thought that turbo was good for at least 500whp

Pump gas? Can you give more info about the engine setup?

I'm staying at 150-200 feet above sea level, with the borg warner matchbot at their website, with the .83 AR housing, it shows that the compressor can flow efficient around 60lbs. I don't how accurate is that but even with 480whp I will be satisfied.

The car is in Southern California. Look up on YouTube what the 7670 can actually do. You will be disappointed. We were. We are on the upper edge of what people do with them.

I say that and even though it is a full time road race car, the car runs high 10 second and low 11 second quarter miles consistently.

Road race Galant VR4
I beam 2.0L
E85
No intercooler
950cc secondaries spraying fuel in the pipe to cool it

Pushed until it made no more power. More than enough wastegate spring. Very honest Dyno.

We don’t race the Dyno. You shouldn’t either.

Actually i searched a lot before i decided for the borg warner and i was the opposite than dissapointed, i didn't find exactly results on s257, but i found one on s258 that made 445whp@23psi on pump gas and Steve93Talon 1g dsm again with S258 turbo, 30psi stock motor, pump gas 457whp/421tq with .70 housing with FP2 cams, stock intake manifold and saw 28psi at about 4700 rpm.

What else kept me positive for 500whp with the s257 are the results from Chicken Patty eclipse with a Garrett GT3582R (i know is a bit bigger turbo but still in pump gas) in a .82 A/R T3 Housing, 272 kelfords, pump gas 93 octane, 33psi boost did 609.2 bhp - 462.5 lb/ft.

Probably the car will be ready by the end of summer, finger crossed i wont regret the upgrade from the td05-20g

Actually i searched a lot before i decided for the borg warner and i was the opposite than dissapointed, i didn't find exactly results on s257, but i found one on s258 that made 445whp@23psi on pump gas and Steve93Talon 1g dsm again with S258 turbo, 30psi stock motor, pump gas 457whp/421tq with .70 housing with FP2 cams, stock intake manifold and saw 28psi at about 4700 rpm.

What else kept me positive for 500whp with the s257 are the results from Chicken Patty eclipse with a Garrett GT3582R (i know is a bit bigger turbo but still in pump gas) in a .82 A/R T3 Housing, 272 kelfords, pump gas 93 octane, 33psi boost did 609.2 bhp - 462.5 lb/ft.

Probably the car will be ready by the end of summer, finger crossed i wont regret the upgrade from the td05-20g
The car actually made 479/443 that day and would've easily cracked 500whp if I had more time ( it wasn't a tuning session, just a 3 pulls for fun dyno day). If anyone remembers Wendy's FWD build (Girlieracr4G63), she had an S258 bolt-on with a built engine and made 545 whp.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Getting there slowly! Probably this weekend the first start!
Large 19mm oil return, oil feed from OFH with oil pressure sensor at the OFH and before the turbo but after the turbosmart oil filter.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back