The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Billet automatic transmission dipstick 2g and 1g

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

antilag_200

20+ Year Contributor
Oct 28, 2002
lansing, Michigan
Hello folks, just wanted to share a project that I am working on with a few of them out in the wild. They are my vented automatic trans dipsticks for the 2G Trans.

I was tired of the plastic dipsticks and my 1g dipstick looking ragged, Having a love for billet - this was the end result .

Features are
-6061 aluminum
-vented handle - accept a -4 AN fitting
-provision to add safety wire/spring to lock the dipstick in place
-new lokar "dipstick" incorporated into the handle.
I released them on facebook and have sold the first batch of 2g ones there.

Mods if this is the wrong space to write this - feel free to let me know and I will remove it .Thanks for the space.

warren

Attachments

• IMG_E7286.JPG
    IMG_E7286.JPG
    343.1 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_4903.JPG
    IMG_4903.JPG
    426.9 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_7745.JPG
    IMG_7745.JPG
    471.3 KB · Views: 441
Does the trans really need venting? Honest question, my car hasn't run in 3 years so I'm clueless.
Can you get a close up shot of the dipstick/measuring portion? That was always a bi*** to read.
Thanks for making these, they look awesome.

It dont need venting, also you see the hose off the side of the main tube body, thats similer and goes back into the pan, while the item looks good i see no benefit in this,

Please do explain the development as to why you made it though, always good to understand others research in the group

Thank you for the interest -
The stock dipstick tube itself is vented . If you look at the top of your tube in a 1g for example you will see a tiny hole there . When your trans is operational the fluid will aerate as the gears and components in there turn. The factory set up allows for this.
In my case and my car I had fluid come out, which ended up getting on my tire during a pass . Definitely was not a fun ride. Thus I decided to make my own dipstick.

I am attaching the top of the dipstick to a vented catch can . Another reason why I made this was because I was tired of looking at the crappy stock dipstick (all yellow and old) so more of a vanity portion on that aspect . Hope that helps

In an ideal world no fluid should come out. In my case when the fluid came out once- I think it was a situation of overfilling ( even though the mark was on the dipstick)

A standard size catch can should suffice.

It dont need venting, also you see the hose off the side of the main tube body, thats similer and goes back into the pan, while the item looks good i see no benefit in this,

Please do explain the development as to why you made it though, always good to understand others research in the group

If a transmission doesn't need to vent, then why do they have vents on top of automatic transmissions and rear differentials?

If a transmission doesn't need to vent, then why do they have vents on top of automatic transmissions and rear differentials?
I ment it more for the fact he will be using a catch can as i guess this from the start which means he will be pulling the air out, so while it vents naturally pulling the air out is not the best idea as if it sucks too hard it might pull the fluid up, so thats why i commented, fair enough i should have perhaps worded it alot differently

I ment it more for the fact he will be using a catch can as i guess this from the start which means he will be pulling the air out, so while it vents naturally pulling the air out is not the best idea as if it sucks too hard it might pull the fluid up, so thats why i commented, fair enough i should have perhaps worded it alot differently

there isn't any "drawing" of air through the tube. It is just A larger path than what is already there in factory form. At least in my experience.

the catch can is more safety in my case - because going into the wall is not an option for me or anyone else for that matter .

cheers

Lol, after I read it like 5 times thought maybe that's what you were referring too.
My bad:heystupid:

Lol, after I read it like 5 times thought maybe that's what you were referring too.
My bad:heystupid:
Haha nah man i word things badly sometimes, plus i dont know if i wrote this when i woke up or not as i do that often so i am not always great at getting my point across well LOL,

while we appreciate the offerings you bring you have to follow the sale rules im afraid, it has to be sold in the classifieds section and not in a thread! also as its more then 1 im not sure if this falls under the rule of freelancer or not since its a product your offering and not a 1 off. maybe a mod will chime in and know whats best

but not getting at you just helping you avoid getting banned or something from breaking the rules here as we all have to follow them to keep it better for everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back