The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

best type of auto trans fluid

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I run the amsoil fluid as well .I ran about 30 9sec passes on it last year and it still looked new and smelled fine when i tore everyting down.Just really expensive ,12.00 a quart and you need about 10 to fill when dry.

If you go to the amsoil site, it will give you local private distributors to get the best price..I pay $9.00 a quart ;)

So its 10 courts to fill up then??? I didnt not think it would be so much.

If the converter is fresh and trans is dry it will take around 10 quarts.You have to adjust the level when hot.
I could only find one place that is right up the road for the amsoil fluid and it was only 9.94 a quart a year ago then they went up this year to 12.00 .Sucks

OEM mitsu fluid (frin deaker) is a good fluid to use if that is what you want but it probally will be around the same price as Amsoil.

If you do a simple drain and fill .Get at least get 8 quarts and put 6 in to start then warm up go thru all gears sitting still then put in neutral and check level and add untill full.IF that helps at all.

I did something similar and it took all 8 quarts.

From Dealer my bad

You can get the factory recommended atf+4 at oreilly in their house brand for 5.99 a quart and 6.59 for the Valvoline atf+4. You can also use dexron with the addition of lubegard black.

I have seen valvoline for decent price, it was high mileage if that effects anything.

My understanding with transmissions over 60-80k on them, is that if they haven't had the fluid changed before you got it you shouldn't change it out. Any insight on how true this is? Basically the reasoning behind it was that with auto transmissions there is a varnish that coats the trans after so many miles of running it, and with a full out change/flush you would kill the transmission within the next 10k. Again, I have no experience with this and didn't know if you guys did...transdude, any insight as well? Thanks!

My understanding with transmissions over 60-80k on them, is that if they haven't had the fluid changed before you got it you shouldn't change it out. Any insight on how true this is? Basically the reasoning behind it was that with auto transmissions there is a varnish that coats the trans after so many miles of running it, and with a full out change/flush you would kill the transmission within the next 10k. Again, I have no experience with this and didn't know if you guys did...transdude, any insight as well? Thanks!

The theory is that you don't want to flush them if they have high miles (60-80k is not high). It is just theory though, i've flushed countless transmissions without any problems. Also he is not talking about flushing it, only draining the pan which only takes out roughly half the system capacity.

I asked that question and read a few threads about it to. But I guess I will find out after my next oil change. Hey 10k miles will be enough for me to save enough money for a performance rebuild:)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back