The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Best Clutch for 300hp goal

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I think the biggest problem that people were having with the ACT clutches was their metal sleeved TOB. They since changed to plastic sleeved TOBs, like an OEM Mitsu one, and I don't believe people have any issues with them anymore.

I have only ran ACT 2100 clutches on 2 of my DSMs, and have nothing but good things to say about them.

my friends and i have run act's 2600 and 2100, centerforce dual friction, PT dual plate metal/metal race setup with flywheel, and the new one going into one of the cars is a spec with matching light flywheel........ no real problems with any of them..... only problem ever was the night i was running a 1/8th mile track with the act 2600 and an organic disc..... i slipped the heck out of the disc and it smelled really bad but afterwards i drove home 4 hours on it with no problems.... i think it was just a touch too much for the organic disc to handle thats all...

I have a question. I always thought the ACT 2600 was a 6 puck, but in the picture for the parts catalog on here its a 4 puck? When I bought my car, it was already installed. I bought the car non-running and the clutch is BRAND NEW. I'm just wondering what kind of engauging I should expect. I mean...when I let of the clutch is it going to instantly be engaged or what? Another thing I need to know is what fluid to run in the tranny and in the clutch resevoir. I have a bottle of redline gear oil and the previous owner that gave it to me told me it would be good for the differential and what not. Any clearification would be nice.

I used to have a Act 2600 until the street disc broke so i switched to a Spec Stage 3 clutch. It was nice and all until it started slipping with only 3,000 miles on it and am out of warranty. Also am not making enough power for it to slip. From what I've been told is that the pressure plate on the stage 3 does not provide enough clamping force but we'll see am pulling the trans out today and switching back to the act 2600 pp and use the spec 6 puck clutch disc and see what happens if it doesn't work then i'll switch back to a new act street disc and call it a day.

my_precious said:
I have a question. I always thought the ACT 2600 was a 6 puck, but in the picture for the parts catalog on here its a 4 puck?
The ACT 2600, or "XT", refers to the pressure plate, not the disc. You can buy the components separately or as a kit; for example, the MB1-XTSS kit is a "2600" pressure plate (XT) and a street/full-face disc (SS). You can also order the kit with a 6-puck (R6) or 4-puck (R4) disc instead.

Here's the breakdown:

<table cellspacing=5><tr><th>Pressure Plate</th><th>Product Code</th><th>Disc</th> <th>Product Code</th></tr><tr><td>2100</td><td>HD</td><td>Full-face/Street</td><td>SS</td></tr><tr><td>2600</td><td>XT</td><td>4-Puck</td><td>R4</td></tr><tr><td>2900</td><td>XX</td><td>6-Puck</td><td>R6</td></tr></table>
See ACT's website for more details on how their product lineup works.

It was my understanding there were 3 variants of the 2600.
All dependant on which disc you went with

Street Disc
4 puck
6 puck

XT 2600 Pressure Plate

I could be wrong, someone else clarify that?

You can get any disc you want, the street disc is the most common and the most expensive. Most of the problem with ACT clutches was stiff pressure plates on 12 year old worn out cars. Some people's pedal assemblies and hydraulics couldn't handle it. They did have an issue with the springs popping out for a while. My brother has gone through a few 2600's over the past few years but they all lasted a long time and held up to 100's of launches.

I've had my 2100 in for over 20K miles now, it's been through 21 PSI on a Big 16G and always held great... and it still is.

Well if you plan on goin for high 11's I would go with atleast a ACT2600 or a Spec Stage 3 b/c you will ###### be pushing 400wHP plus so you will want a bigger clutch, the ACT2100 is to small for a 400wHP+ car, just my thoughts though

Brad_11 said:
Well if you plan on goin for high 11's I would go with atleast a ACT2600 or a Spec Stage 3 b/c you will ###### be pushing 400wHP plus so you will want a bigger clutch, the ACT2100 is to small for a 400wHP+ car, just my thoughts though
Yes that is already known, and it doesnt even awnser his question..."which clutch is best?" which refers to the spec 3 and the act 2600, and he just wanted to know which to go with and the expiriences of the people with them, and now to awnser the question, I would go with the 2600.

My Spec Stage 3 and Fidanza are finally on the car and its working right now. I really like it. I don't have any problems that some people talk about with the fidanza, like stalling for instance. The clutch is super light pedal pressure wise, and it grabs really hard. I have launched it a couple times now that it is broken in, and it spins my tires, and my car is stock otherwise, besides the K&N. Its good for daily driving I think. I dig it.

DevilSperm said:
ACT 2600 and ACT XACT flywheel, i love the combo and it hasnt given me any problems
y yo tambien,

one complaint I have is that with a lightweight flywheel, the thing likes to die, but there is something you can change in dsmlink to fix that. all I know is that the act flywheel wants to die, and sometimes does, where as the fidanza flywheel dies every time. but with link it doesnt matter. you change the time before the idle sequence is started or something.

tstkl said:
y yo tambien,

one complaint I have is that with a lightweight flywheel, the thing likes to die, but there is something you can change in dsmlink to fix that. all I know is that the act flywheel wants to die, and sometimes does, where as the fidanza flywheel dies every time. but with link it doesnt matter. you change the time before the idle sequence is started or something.

I have DSMLink. I currently have an ACT2100 with an ACT XAct flywheel. I have had an ACT2100 with an aluminum flywheel. I have never had a problem with the ACT/ACT combo stalling. The ACT/aluminum flywheel only stalled the first day or so until I got used to it and then I never had a problem afterward. I certainly don't know what you could be talking about inside DSMLink that would compensate for a lighter flywheel. That's controlled by the combination of left foot/right foot activation.

IMO, you should have no problem with an aluminum or any lightened flywheel after a day or so to get used to it.

im looking to spend 325 or less on a clutch for my 95 talon awd.....my goal is around 350 hp....what would be the best clutch for what im looking for....and also its my daily driver
thanks!
:talon:

I've got a spec 2 and i love it. Ive heard of a lot of guys having probs lately with the ACT2600s....

Just about to buy a New clutch kit for my 91 AWD Talon, Im gettin a few More HP Upgrades
and the car is been down since the stock clutch failed.

I will be using the car for Daily Driving, and occasional track use *RARLY*.
It has a few bolt ons the normal intake, exhaust, Evo 3 turbo, Stock drivetrain 3bolt rear.
I WANTED the Slowboy 3500 Kit, but its a tossup with the ACT 2600, and for driveability and a lower price ACT 2100 or One of the Centerforce Clutches.

I Dont realy "Street" race but everyonce and a while I will play around with a mustang or two.

Ill end up Picking one of these, Im just wanting to know what you guys use or like, have any issues with them ECT....... Ive herd good and bad about most of these just wanna here more reviews about this Importand DSM part with a TON of choices out there.

I have an ACT 2600 with a fidanza lightened flywheel and its very VERY streetable, so do not worry about that. I love my clutch. I havent tried the others so I cant give you any info on them. Lots of people have ACT's, just search you will find lots of threads on which clutch to buy.

Ya I have the act 2100 since I am fwd but a couple of my buddies are awd and have the 2600, No complaints. I have no other experience with any other clutch But act is def a great choice. Just do some research ;)
ajonse-

Spec stg 3. Prefer the pedal feel over the ACT2600 but grabs just as hard, and only $310 shipped.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Is it this clutch, If so how long have you had it in. And what kinda driving are you doing.

What is the + or - off the different clutch styles 4puck, 6puck, and full disk.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back