The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Bell housing throw out bearing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95badasstsi95

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 20, 2006
henderson, Nevada
The shaft that the throw out bearing slides on snapped off the bell housing. I was thinking about getting it welding it back on. I was wondering if this has happened to anyone and and if the weld would hold or just snap off again i am running a ACT2600.

Wait....you're saying your input shaft snapped? NOT GOOD. Needs to be replaced, not welded.

The input shaft is the link putting your engine's power through to the transmission. If it snapped like that, no weld will hold it again.

Needs replaced bro.

if your talking about your input shaft which slides into your clutch disk and is the main driven source to your transmission, you need a new input shaft.

If your talking about the fork that the TOB rides on and is what slides the TOB when you depress the clutch, thats your clutch release fork and that will also have to be replaced.

How the hell did you break your input shaft?? Did you rev it up to like 8000 and drop the clutch???

No defiantly not the input shaft or the fork . Its the bell housing, the aluminum piece that the TOB slides on snapped off. I know it can be welded on, but i want to know if any one has done it and if it held.

No defiantly not the input shaft or the fork . Its the bell housing, the aluminum piece that the TOB slides on snapped off. I know it can be welded on, but i want to know if any one has done it and if it held.

This doesn't make any sense. The TOB slides on the input shaft.

umm no, our TOB slides over the Input shaft and rests/clips onto the Clutch release fork...Which one is broken?? The splined shaft, or the fork that goes outside of the tranny??

Or are you talking about behind the TOB and behind the fork, Theres the cast aluminum housing that the input shaft 'rides' in? If thats it, the TOB doesn't ride on that..The TOB rides on the Input shaft..it may rest up against it im not sure.

Attachments

• wer.jpg
    wer.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 2,407
umm no, our TOB slides over the Input shaft and rests/clips onto the Clutch release fork...Which one is broken?? The splined shaft, or the fork that goes outside of the tranny??

Or are you talking about behind the TOB and behind the fork, Theres the cast aluminum housing that the input shaft 'rides' in? If thats it, the TOB doesn't ride on that..The TOB rides on the Input shaft..it may rest up against it im not sure.

Im not picking on ya but that's not true . theres an aluninum sleeve that the throw out brg rides on, it sticks out of the trans bellhousing about 2 inches. and it protects the tob and the input shaft. you probably won't be able weld it either for two reasons. 1 it has to be straight so it won't rub on the input shaft and 2 there's a seal right behind it inside the trans that keeps gear lube from leaking out of the input shaft. but on a side note i was told that the 2g trans has a press in sleeve instead of the casted in sleeve . i would have to dig to confirm that info.

This doesn't make any sense. The TOB slides on the input shaft.

Incorrect. The TOB most definitely slides on a protrusion of the aluminum bellhousing around the input shaft.

Have you ever played with the fork and TOB before installing the transmission? If the TOB is pushed by the fork off that aluminum housing and onto the input shaft, the TOB has a rough time angling back onto the aluminum housing; it gets STUCK. Further, the fork is a lever. Look at the picture EclipticalGS posted. With the fork all the way to the driver side (i.e. when the clutch pedal is not depressed), the TOB goes towards the passenger side (and vice versa). What is it sliding on? It is certainly not the splined input shaft.

Perhaps this picture will help you all see. This is a 3000GT non-turbo transmission, but it is the same way. There you can see the portion of the aluminum housing the TOB slides on:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

To the OP: I am sure it can be welded (carefully, of course), though you will want to remove that portion of the bellhousing completely and have it welded separately rather than welding it with the input shaft poking through and risking damage to it. If you don't, the input shaft seal will certainly be damaged and you'll have to disassemble the transmission anyway to replace it.

Thanks Doubleclutch99, Iwas worried about the input shaft seal. Does anyone know where I can find a bell housing besides the dealership? They want $500 for it.

thanks 19eclipse90. yea for sure I would pull off the bell housing and have someone weld it up and replace the seal, and it would be a great time to throw my lsd in, since it been sitting around for 6 months. I just wounder if it would just snap off again or if the weld world be strong enough to hold it. I guess it really depends on who is welding it.

but on a side note i was told that the 2g trans has a press in sleeve instead of the casted in sleeve . i would have to dig to confirm that info.

Interesting. I've been doing some looking on my own and come up with MD716349 - M/T CASE CLUTCH RELEASE BEARING RETAINER as the part you are after. Good info!

Check post #18 here: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/drivetrain-tech/311715-disengagement-issues-pedal-feel-all-over-place-spec-stage-2-a.html

or, even better, post #13 here: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/drivetrain-tech/295588-transmission-input-shaft-sleeve-warped.html

That sounds much smarter than trying to weld the piece. Either way, it sounds like the transmission needs to be disassembled.

but on a side note i was told that the 2g trans has a press in sleeve instead of the casted in sleeve . i would have to dig to confirm that info.

This is correct. 2gs have a "replaceable" sleeve unlike the 1gs. The reason it is replaceable is because eventually the sleeve becomes worn down from the throw out bearing constantly sliding back and fourth on it. Anyone who has closely inspected their sleeve on a higher mileage dsm will notice a groove worn into the aluminum. Just another reason to only run Mitsu OEM throw out bearings because they are plastic instead of metal which you will find in most after market clutch kits.

Wow this is some great info thanks alot guys. Now this retainer (MD716349) is it the whole piece that is pressed into the housing or does it just slide over the sleeve. I can't tell on my housing it does not look like it comes off. Mine snapped off flush with the housing . I cant seem to find a pic of this retainer anywhere

I can't say for sure. From reading those two threads, it seems like it is the whole sleeve. On the other hand, the screen shot below from ASA makes me wonder; the highlighted number towards the bottom is the part in question, but the casing still shows a protrusion on the bellhousing where the sleeve would go.

I found this picture of some similar wreckage, but I believe that it is a 1G so it doesn't help much to show if there is a steel sleeve over the aluminum casing: http://www.clan-rum.org/~mike/inputshaft.jpg

If you want a quick answer, PM twicks69 or JackM with that question. I'm sure they can help you out much better than any of us. Good luck!

Attachments

• 2G_Trans_Sleeve.jpg
    2G_Trans_Sleeve.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 270
Ok, I am having the same exact problem. my sleeve snapped right off do to friction from an OEM metal TOB installed by the previous owner.

After reading this thread I began my search, calling the local Mitsubishi dealership, and they found that the 95-99 GST transmissions do not have a pressed in sleeve, and said that it is actually a protrusion from the bell housing, a one piece design, and that it had no part number in their catalog. He didn't really seem very knowledgeable over the phone (its a an hour drive away), so I wanted to confirm this with you guys.

If this is true I'm looking at either an entire used trans (and $ is tight already), the welding idea, or trying to find a junkyard bell housing. OP, the dealer priced it at like 486$ for me as well.

The part that you are talking about slides on over the aluminum snout that the tob rides on. The actual snout itself is cast with the transmission.

This is correct. 2gs have a "replaceable" sleeve unlike the 1gs. The reason it is replaceable is because eventually the sleeve becomes worn down from the throw out bearing constantly sliding back and fourth on it. Anyone who has closely inspected their sleeve on a higher mileage dsm will notice a groove worn into the aluminum. Just another reason to only run Mitsu OEM throw out bearings because they are plastic instead of metal which you will find in most after market clutch kits.

Correct the 2g are sleeves, the 1g's are case in to the case.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back