The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Throw out Bearing Clip

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaddAssGst

15+ Year Contributor
Dec 27, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
I just picked up a Shep trans, ACT 2600/TOB, and a Fidanza flywheel. It was all put together but I didn't have the clip that holds the TOB in. The guy that was with me (pretty knowledgeable guy that I trust) said it wasn't completely necessary as long as everything was lined up and what not. He said there wasn't a way the TOB could come out once the release fork was connected? (i think)

Now, the whole thing is back together because I had to have it running and my question is how important is it to use the clip? From what he showed me, it couldn't go anywhere but I'm starting to not know if that's completely true.

I know the right thing to do would be to pull it all off but as of now, I don't have the time. I also don't want to risk the drivetrain parts that could be ruined by this either. Is it completely necessary?

Thanks guys!

ok first off, did you use the4 ACT TOB or a factory mitsubishi NSK TOB, if not, all you asking for is TROUBLE, second of all, LOL.....why would the clip be there if it was not needed. Not to sure, but what I can see happening from there being no clip on there is the fact that the TOB will not return when the clutch is released and the TOB will contantly ride on the pressure plate causing premature TOB bearing failure.

boostyGST said:
ok first off, did you use the4 ACT TOB or a factory mitsubishi NSK TOB, if not, all you asking for is TROUBLE, second of all, LOL.....why would the clip be there if it was not needed. Not to sure, but what I can see happening from there being no clip on there is the fact that the TOB will not return when the clutch is released and the TOB will contantly ride on the pressure plate causing premature TOB bearing failure.
I did use an ACT TOB. I know some guys on here swear by an OEM peice but I pulled an ACT off the car and I know a few guys that swear by them. None of them have had any problems.

But anyways, I see what your saying about the clip but nobody to access to one and the thing HAD to go together. Everything was lined up properly and I actually just took it for a 10 minute drive and it was fine. The clutch felt good and I had no problems at all. But I am still kind of sketchy about that.

The new Act TO bearings should be fine as they are plastic sleeved like the Mitsu one. It was their older ones that were metal sleeved that were hard on the input shaft. If you got the plastic sleeved one you should be fine.

daren_p said:
The new Act TO bearings should be fine as they are plastic sleeved like the Mitsu one. It was their older ones that were metal sleeved that were hard on the input shaft. If you got the plastic sleeved one you should be fine.
Thanks.. but I'm more worried about the TOB clip that wasn't put back on. :p

As far as I know, it can only move so much and once everything is together, it won't let the TOB pop out of place but I want to make sure of this. It will see some hard launches and that's the last thing I need ruining 2500 worth of drivetrain parts. :cry:

I would say put the tob clip back in. As stated, it's there for a reason, and not putting it back in is just an uneeded worry. I'm having my transmission rebuilt by Shep. right now and I know personally I'd be pissed after spending that much money on a tranny to have something as simple as a clip possibly mess it up.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back