The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Battery/Brake lights on

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinned4g63

Proven Member
May 1, 2017
Pasadena, Maryland
This morning starting my car to go to work noticed my battery and brake light would flicker, sometimes the lights would fade on and flicker off then come back a few minutes later blinking on and off with no specific pattern. I made sure the parking brake was all the way down and checked the fluid which was full. About half way to work the lights came on and stayed. They seemed dim compared to normal and the applying the parking brake simply made the brake light brighter. Getting ready to leave work I tested the battery between 14.5 and 15v, at idle the battery still had around 15v going back to it and under a load at 3500rpms jumped up to only 15.09v. Also worth mentioning I just recently had all the belts done probably a month or so ago but they all still seem tight. Fuses all good too.. Going to test it again when I get home once its warmed up to see if there's a difference. Anyone have any other ideas what to check?

Some of the aftermarket ones just do that, it annoys me to no end because its unnerving to see lights flash, the one on my mk5 does that at night with the high beams on and any kind of accessories running, I bought a Bosch reman which I recommend as one of the good ones but it does bother me in that regard, its just the regulator and how its designed is all, but I dont like it one bit.

Some of the aftermarket ones just do that, it annoys me to no end because its unnerving to see lights flash, the one on my mk5 does that at night with the high beams on and any kind of accessories running, I bought a Bosch reman which I recommend as one of the good ones but it does bother me in that regard, its just the regulator and how its designed is all, but I dont like it one bit.
Hmmm.. Not the answer I was expecting LOL. I guess it's good in that there may be nothing actually wrong with it but it does bug the hell out of me.. I did notice last night while driving home it got a tad better so I'm wondering if the battery being a hair loose and driving it for 2 weeks maybe hurt a little. While parked it starts to act up right at 3k but anything under and it's perfectly fine. While holding at 3k should the voltage fluctuate? It likes to bounce around between 14.3 and upwards of 15 when I do that and the lights start to pulse. Kind of having flash backs of the alternator I just replaced.. :cry:

The cheaper regulators are just slow to respond, kind of like a cheap processor in a computer making the computer laggy.

So, to comment on this, I just read how the Brake light and Battery light will come on when the alternator is about to die. My lights were doing that when I get the 2g I just bought running and I said to myself, let me see A. if this is true and B. how long the alternator would last.

It lasted 2 days. I'm in the middle of replacing the 2G alternator with my 1G now...

So, to comment on this, I just read how the Brake light and Battery light will come on when the alternator is about to die. My lights were doing that when I get the 2g I just bought running and I said to myself, let me see A. if this is true and B. how long the alternator would last.

It lasted 2 days. I'm in the middle of replacing the 2G alternator with my 1G now...
Huh, mine lasted about a week before I got the replacement granted I wasnt driving it daily for fear of ruining my battery. The voltage was all over the place and I didn't was to fry it.

Even a reman from a Mitsubishi dealer is a hit or miss. I got one a few years ago and it didn't last me 2 years while another one I got before that lasted me almost 10 years. The current one I have now is from Autozone which is over $100 cheaper than one from the Mitsu dealer. The last Autozone one lasted me about 2 years as well.

So I finished my alternator swap (1G alternator in a 2G). After the alternator was wired in, the dash lights went off and the car "alternates" like a champ now!

I found the wiring information for swapping a 1g alternator into a 2g in another thread on dsmtuners. When wiring in the 1g plug into the 2g, you need to cut the four wires on the 2g harness, leave the outer two wires cut (1g plug only has 2 wires) and the use the two inner wires to connect to the 2g harness.

Red wire from 2g harness to yellow wire on 1g plug.
Black wire yellow stripe from 2g harness to black wire on 1g plug.

In case anyone else needed the info!

If the wiring and connections are all good the only thing it could be is the alternator.
Even a reman from a Mitsubishi dealer is a hit or miss. I got one a few years ago and it didn't last me 2 years while another one I got before that lasted me almost 10 years. The current one I have now is from Autozone which is over $100 cheaper than one from the Mitsu dealer. The last Autozone one lasted me about 2 years as well.
I've been paying more attention to it, still have not had them time to check the ground on the alternator itself seeing as how I daily the car and the manifold gets hot to the touch in a few seconds, but turning off my fog lights (which I usually have on all the time with the headlights) makes things pulse less. I'm wondering if it's worth trying to get another through the warranty or just ride it out..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back