The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Balance Shaft/Timing belt help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSMinAK

5+ Year Contributor
Apr 28, 2018
Fairbanks, Alaska
so my balance shaft sprocket doesnt want to spin freely by hand but it will turn fairly easy when I rotate it with a wrench, my question is what should I do next to fix the problem, and is it indeed a problem? (95 Eagle Talon TSI 7 Bolt)

Sounds like your BS is starting to seize. Drop the oil pan & inspect the bottom end. It sounds like you may need to plan a rebuild. How many miles on the motor?

Are you expecting it to spin? Or you have to really crank on it to even get it to move?
I thought the sprocket was supposed to spin freely, and it spins pretty easy but it wont spin by hand. Would rebuilding the balance shaft be a better option than putting in the balance shaft eliminator kit?

I thought the sprocket was supposed to spin freely, and it spins pretty easy but it wont spin by hand. Would rebuilding the balance shaft be a better option than putting in the balance shaft eliminator kit?
Spin freely as in apply force and it just keeps going? No. Turn easily by hand as on nearly no resistance, yes.

That's what I meant by hand, so if I change the bearings it should fix the issue or should I go the route of deleting the balance shafts all together?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back