The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Replace timing belt and balance shaft belt on 4g64?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AK47

Probationary Member
Mar 29, 2010
nekoosa, Wisconsin
I have a 2003 Galant ES with a 4G64 motor, and its long overdue for a timing belt and balance shaft belt change (166000 miles). Can someone maybe outline the process of how to properly go about doing this, or if a Haynes or Chilton manual will provide sufficient detail on how to do it? Also, Does anybody know if any special tools are needed, or if there's any other parts besides the belts themselves I should replace while I'm in there?

Thanks!

Definitely replace the tensioner. And a chilton or haynes will work.

As long as you are good with cars and tools nothing special is required.

Thanks for the quick replies and helpful info. I'll pick up a manual and a tensioner and get started. I'm usually pretty handy with vehicle maintenance and repair, what could go wrong ;)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back