The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Automatic transmission solenoids

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nj94TsiAwd

20+ Year Contributor
Jan 29, 2003
Cherry_Hill_NJ
I'm currently looking to purchase a '98 gsx automatic from a guy around my way. The only problem with the car is that he says it needs the solenoids that go on the valve body to be replaced. He says it can be done without taking the transmission out. My question is, how much would it cost to have this done by a shop? And is what he is saying true?

It is certainly possible to replace the solenoids without removing the entire transmission. The cost varies depending on the shop; anywhere from $700 to $1,400 is reasonable. Keep in mind that the solenoids themselves are rather expensive.

Paul, I know you are a wiseman, but I think you are wrong. You can get new solenoids from IPT for $225. And everything I have searched shows that the solenoids are connected directly to the valve body, making it an easy procedure to change being as you just have to drop the tranny pan, take off filter, and take off the valve body. Is this wrong?

Paul, I know you are a wiseman, but I think you are wrong. You can get new solenoids from IPT for $225. And everything I have searched shows that the solenoids are connected directly to the valve body, making it an easy procedure to change being as you just have to drop the tranny pan, take off filter, and take off the valve body. Is this wrong?

That is correct and I did not mean to imply the job was difficult. Given the cost of the solenoids ($225 is about right), though, I do not think ~$450 for labor is unreasonable.

Am I missing something here? I interpreted the OP's question as wanting to know how much it would cost to have a shop replace the solenoids.

Ok, I was just making sure Paul, because I currently have a problem with my solenoids right now. Yeah that seems like what a shop could charge you, which is why I would highly recommend doing it yourself, and saving a couple hundred dollars. Also include in the price a new filter and gasket, and new transmission fluid.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back