The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Auto transmission issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crossroads

Probationary Member
Jul 2, 2014
Binghamton, New_York
I have a 97 2g 420a gs auto. When I first start the car and put it in gear it slams in and is stuck in safe mode. When I am first taking off and want it to shift from second I flip the key on and off and it shifts. As long as I am giving it gas it stays in gear but when I let off and coast for a little bit it kicks out. I then have to pull over and restart the whole process. About a month ago I changed the fluid the filter and the shift pack. I changed all that because it was shifting a little hard here n there and kicked out of gear sometimes when cold. Just the other day I changed the transmission input and output speed sensors and didn't make a difference.
Hope u guys can help because this is my daily and I'm a broke college student, thank you.

sounds to me like your tranny is history.

The brain (TCU) that runs the tranny might have issues-why it heads to safe mode.

What fluid are you using - hope you're using ATF+4 fluids designed for Chrysler trannies.

Good luck - DSM

I'm using the fluid recommended on the dip stick. I hope it's the tcu because they're expensive LOL. Thanks I'll let ya know how it works out.

The brain (TCU) that runs the tranny might have issues-why it heads to safe mode.

What fluid are you using - hope you're using ATF+4 fluids designed for Chrysler trannies.

Good luck - DSM
I replaced the tcu and it didn't make a difference. Looks I'm just gonna have to do a manual swap LOL

Have to check into doing manual swaps with the 420A setup where many have done it with the 4G63 setup and been successful with it. Might just be more economical just to get your tranny rebuilt, or similar repairs.

Good luck - DSM

Sounds like the shift solenoid valve pack, you might have replaced it already but thats what it acts like.
I have already replaced it. But after I did someone had said I should've disconnected the battery. Would this make a difference?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back