The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Are these 510cc injectors?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

white90tsiawd

Probationary Member
Jan 29, 2005
Hiram, Georgia
Hey guys,

Ok on my 91 Eclipse GS Turbo(which has now met its demise) I always was pretty sure I had 450cc injectors. But, as I was pulling the damn blown up thing apart I noticed that two of the plugs on the injetors were blue, and two were black. But thats not part that stumps me. I know that the "color" of the "top" of the injectors is not at the plug, but at the point where it enters the fuel rail. And on these injectors, they look to be a kinda clearish off-white color. Does that mean they are yellow top 510's? I had no fuel control and I didn't really notice it to run much more rich than the Talon. So I'm baffled. Can anyone shed some light on this???

Thanks,
Justin

P.S.- It had a Big 16 on it and was completely stock when I purchased it (no exhaust, not even free mods). Could someone of swapped in a RS spec motor in it?

The 510cc injectors that came on the JDM B16g powered cars will be yellow, there should be no mistaking it, it looks exactly like a stock injector, except for instead of it being mostly blue, it will be mostly yellow, it shouldn't be hard to distinguish if it's yellow or blue.

I'm not stupid dude, why you gotta come at me like that? I'm asking for help, not a smart ass.
As I said, 2 of the injectors have a blue plug and 2 a black. All 4 are the clearish off-white color where it matters though, and that is the "top" where the injector goes into the rail. I have a 90 Talon AWD, and I know plenty of guys down here in the ATL I know that have 1g's and this is the only set I've seen like this. Everyone elses (and the Talon) are blue at the plug and at the "top". It makes no sense, that is why I'm trying to figure it out.

You have 450cc injectors from a 1G and a 2G in your car. 1G 450's are blue top and single spray pattern, 2G 450's are black top and dual spray pattern. Both are pintle style injectors but the Black tops spray a better pattern on the intake valves.

I would switch two of those out with matching ones. IMHO.

I noticed most ( loosely ) injectors have a number stamped into the side and say xx450 or something like that. That should shed light on it.

good luck in your quest for the answer.

gsxtacy

gsxtacy said:
You have 450cc injectors from a 1G and a 2G in your car. 1G 450's are blue top and single spray pattern, 2G 450's are black top and dual spray pattern. Both are pintle style injectors but the Black tops spray a better pattern on the intake valves.

I would switch two of those out with matching ones. IMHO.

I noticed most ( loosely ) injectors have a number stamped into the side and say xx450 or something like that. That should shed light on it.

good luck in your quest for the answer.

gsxtacy

What he said. :thumb: I'm actually going to put the original black top injectors from my 2G into my 1G because of this.

My 91 TSi AWD has the same thing. Two blue and two black injectors. I was always a little puzzled by that. So, either its a coincidence that we have the same situation, or they did something to 4G63's in 91.

Maybe dealerships were told to replace faulty 1G injectors with new 2G injectors. Beats the hell out of me what my car has gone through for first 150,000 miles before I owned it. It's kinda scary, and I don't want to think about it.

The actual 510's have a bright yellow top, no mistaking it, and actually say 510 on the side of them if you look closely.

exactly, all 4g63 and DSM injectors are like that. whether they are 240's, 390's, 450's, 510's, 550's, just look on the side, it says in plain numbers right there, you can't go wrong.

Thanks guys,
Thats what I was looking for. I think I'm gonna start pulling the head Saturday, so I should have them out to look at the stampings then. I knew nothing about the black tops being in 2g's.
But I still thought that if they were 1g blues they were blue on the cylindrical part that goes into the rail also. My 90 Talon, my buddies 90 Talon, and my other buddies 91 Talon are all blue all the way up? That is what throws me off. Am I mistaken in that?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back