The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

anyone used this valve spring compressor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

black_gst

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 16, 2008
IE, California
Euro Export, Inc.

to change/replace valve seal or springs with the engine in car?

im pretty sure i narrowed my problem down to a leaking valve seal on my brand new head that has about 700 miles on it and i dont want to pull the head off to fix it.

Yup, that's a good one to use and there is also this one as well.

GA317, Remover/Installer, Metric Valve Keeper

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid260.photobucket.com/albums/ii11/bastarddsm/Jun142009-VID00108.flv">

that tool doesnt actually compress the spring that just for the valve locks correct?

and have you actually use this tool or the one i posted to remove springs with the engine complete and in the car?

this is the question i am looking to have answered by someone who has actually done it.

thanks

Watch the video. To remove springs, you'll have to take the valve locks out to remove the retainers. You still remove the valve locks with the one you supplied the link for. Watch the video and see how easy it is to use the Snap-On tool.

I have not used one but I woul use the eurosport one. Not the snap-on one. If you drop a valve from hiting it you will have to pull the head not any fun.

i have the one thats simular to the snap on one... stock prings are fine.. but with after market siff springs .. well just best of luck with it

You keep the cylinder pressurized to keep the valves up. The Eurosport one would have a higher chance to drop a valve by accident as it's not pressureized in the cylinder.

Here is another link promoting the Snap-On tool

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cyl...360190-will-valve-spring-compressor-work.html

the tool looks awesome and pretty easy to use but have you used it your self?

also i have a baby air compressor and i dont know if it would be enough to hold up a valve

I haven't done any head work. Try sending a PM to the people on the link I supplied. It's quicker and easier to use, but you may be limited by your compressor. If you can use a leak-down tester off of your compressor you should be fine.

Euro Export, Inc.

to change/replace valve seal or springs with the engine in car?

im pretty sure i narrowed my problem down to a leaking valve seal on my brand new head that has about 700 miles on it and i dont want to pull the head off to fix it.

I have this one, It worked great. Although the keepers on the valve were stuck so I couldn't use compressed air, but 3/8" cord (rope) in the cylinder worked great

Use the snap-on tool. I have used it and it works just like in the video. Also the euro one is way over priced and can cause damage to the cam cap inserts.

How effective would that snap on be at installing/removing aftermarket springs such as crowers or even the kiggly behives?

I havent tried it on aftermarket springs but I have heard that it makes it a little more difficult. I would use the c-clamp and socket method on performance springs.

I havent tried it on aftermarket springs but I have heard that it makes it a little more difficult. I would use the c-clamp and socket method on performance springs.

That requires removing the head and having welding tools to make the device. The Snap-On tool is fine to use on aftermarket springs as well. Just hit the tool a little harder. You don't need to fully compress the spring to remove the keepers. Just enough to expose the base of them and to get pulled off by the magnet.

I got you covered with the air compressor Adam :thumb:

I think this is your best option man, Fvck pulling the head off again..

ok for sure im gonna order the tools in 2 weeks and i think im gonna replace all the valve seals, seams dumb to just replace one unless it just poped off.

black gst, im the guy that made the vid on the snap-on tool and it works on all types of springs for your 4g63. on that evo in the vid i was installing behive springs with out issues, i have also used it for supertec duels with out any trouble. install is a snap and the inside is magnetic so you dont loose the keepers, as long as the cyl is pressurized you will not drop a valve. its the fastest and most efective tool i have used.

black gst, im the guy that made the vid on the snap-on tool and it works on all types of springs for your 4g63. on that evo in the vid i was installing behive springs with out issues, i have also used it for supertec duels with out any trouble. install is a snap and the inside is magnetic so you dont loose the keepers, as long as the cyl is pressurized you will not drop a valve. its the fastest and most efective tool i have used.

well the vid looks too good to be true LOL but thanks for posting though.

so this
GA317, Remover/Installer, Metric Valve Keeper
is the same one you used? i think i will give it a try, i will likely to the rope method to keep the valves up.

what are some really good valve seals to get? anyone?

i was thinking super tech and getting the reduced OD incase i upgrade to duel springs down the road

have used the Toyotool one. I own it and it works pretty good. You do have to put some force into it though. More than that guy on the Toyo vid, or maybe he's just stronger. LOL

I recommend it. Now that I look, the Snap-On looks almost identical and half the price...

yup thats the one, spertech seals are good too and i havn't had any issues with those valve seals.

bastard dsm, how much air pressure do you use in the cylinder to hold the valves up?

I already bought the tool after seeing your video:thumb: and I have an air hold line as well.

I'll go ahead and set the regulator at 120psi. Thanks.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back