The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Anyone running the FP HTA DSM86 turbo?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Any updates? Have you received the beast yet? I'd love some pics to drool over.

Just ordered a Dsm86 last night. Won't be running it for a bit cause I still have to build my motor. But you can add me to the list of people that WILL be running it. :)

The bolt-on housing. I'll have a 2.3 aluminum rod motor. Sending the money off today for the butchered crank. Have to wait till Tuesday for the release of the new rods though. Building the bottom end for now with a 1g head. Eventually cams and smim.

... you may want to do a bit more research on that motor build, specifically a butchered crank and the AR 2.3. PM me off-line if you don't find anything and I'll send you some info I got from Tim Z. I don't want to take this thread off topic...

That HTA86 is the turbo I plan on running on my 2.3, can't wait to hear how you like it.

:dsm:

Yeah, I did all the research on it and spoke to Tim about his setup as well cause ya really don't see many aluminum rod 2.3's out there. Anxious to see how well it spools with the bolt-on housing with a Stroker and light weight setup compared to my HX35 in the .70 a/r housing and 2.0 motor. I have to imagine it'll be better in every area possible.

So I got mine in today. I was AMAZED at how a turbo that's able to flow so much, is able to weigh so little, and not amazingly huge in size. Heck, I feel like it's about the size of my Holset HX35, but the Dsm86's bolt-on housing looks so much smaller than the T3 .70 a/r I had on my Holset. I don't care though regardless. I'm sure it'll perform way above my expectations.

Didn't go for the polished look though. Building this car to go fast. Not a show car. Turbo weighs in at 13 pounds, versus the HX52 I had at one time that was 40 freaking pounds OMG

Just a few pics I snapped today.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I love how smooth it looks in there.

And one of the Turbine housing of the Dsm86, and from my Holset for comparison...

That bolt on housing looks enormous too, great shots you took. Making me start pinching pennies to snag one of those sooner than I was planning...

What's your timeline as far as getting the car back on its feet with the stroker and 86 installed?

Yeah, it's big compared to mitsu housings, but smaller looking than the T3 housing. Guess I need to look around and see if I still have my T-25 around to compare it to.

As far as the motor, I'd say summer'ish? Hopefully sooner, but hate getting my hopes up. I'll for sure be posting up vids when it's running though. I hardly see ANYONE with decent vids of this turbo, or even cars with a butchered crank/aluminum rod combo. So I'll be sure to do it.

I'm so tight on money right now that it's taking forever to get my motor built. So I'm planning to go pick up a motor from a salvage yard a week from today so I can drive it until it's built and not under so much pressure. Hoping the spool on the 2.0 doesn't kill me. I still need $1,000 just in parts to get it on the road. Injectors, wastegate, gaskets, oil supply and return lines, etc. Ugghhh....

Either way, I'll keep this post updated with my results with vids and all that fun stuff as it progresses. Wish me luck on the salvage yard motor. Eek!!!

Finally getting this sucker together...

Turbo is on right now cause I was test fitting the dipstick to make sure it cleared for the side exit exhaust setup, but I still have to do my waterpipe and the waterlines. Just wondering if anyone has any pics of their setups. I'm wondering how to do my waterlines cause I'm going from a Holset (with no waterlines needed), to a Dsm86 (that needs waterlines).

I have a 7 bolt block and 7 bolt head (for now), with a 1g waterpipe, and 1g thermostat housing. Trying to get good ideas of how to run the waterlines, using these.
EXTREME PSI : Your #1 Source for In Stock Performance Parts

Aside from that, everything is going together fairly simple.

I'm basically using the same fittings you have listed from E-PSI, just got them from FP instead.

What I did was tap the factory water outlet on the front water pipe, and just threaded a barb fitting into it, ran rubber hose to the turbo, and covered it with fire sleeve.

Then tapped the thermostat housing, threaded a barb fitting into it, and ran rubber hose from turbo, and covered it with fire sleeve.

I was really worried about having rubber hose so close to the hotside, but the fire sleeve made all the difference.

I'll see if I can dig up some pictures. It won't be that bad with the engine out of the car. I did it with the engine in the car and man it was a PITA.

Here is a quick clip, not the greatest, but you get the gist.

Also, I hope your side exit is pretty small, I was unable to clear my 2.5" side exit without it hitting the body of the wastegate. I'm sure I could have beat the pipe in and made it fit, but I didn't want to go that route.

Also, what exactly video wise are you looking for? I have plenty of video of me racing, dynoing, idling, whatever you want LOL. I'm just on a stock block so can only go so far, but car traps 135 so its decent :)

[ame]http://youtu.be/ihSCzraWF1c[/ame]

Last edited:
I went ahead and ordered those fittings from Extreme. I wanted the ones from FP but man, those things are $$$$$ for just 2 fittings. Think it's like $62 shipped to my door versus $40 from Extreme. Thanks for the idea on the Fire sleeve cause I have/had the same concern about that as well. Guess I'll post up some pics of my waterpipe when I get a chance to show what I'm dealing with.

Also, Amber at FP sent me some emails cause I had ordered the 2.5" to 3" transistion (Forced Performance Turbochargers: FP 2.5" - 3" V-band Transition Flange) for my side exit exhaust and was having clearance issues and I haven't even done anything yet.

Amber told me they dent the O2 housing like so, which is what I'll be doing to mine personally I guess, after I finish the welding of course.

I went ahead and ordered those fittings from Extreme. I wanted the ones from FP but man, those things are $$$$$ for just 2 fittings. Think it's like $62 shipped to my door versus $40 from Extreme. Thanks for the idea on the Fire sleeve cause I have/had the same concern about that as well. Guess I'll post up some pics of my waterpipe when I get a chance to show what I'm dealing with.

Also, Amber at FP sent me some emails cause I had ordered the 2.5" to 3" transistion (Forced Performance Turbochargers: FP 2.5" - 3" V-band Transition Flange) for my side exit exhaust and was having clearance issues and I haven't even done anything yet.

Amber told me they dent the O2 housing like so, which is what I'll be doing to mine personally I guess, after I finish the welding of course.

Funny, I actually ordered that same 2.5-3.0 transition flange as well and ended up sending it back. It's just way too tight a fit in there with the WG mounted. I gave up my entire side exit exhaust project because of the fitment.

Definitely my biggest complaint about the FP housing, I had no idea that the WG would cause so much clearancing issues.

As far as the water pipe goes there shouldn't be much to show, cut the line that comes off of it and goes under the turbo to the front. Tap hole for NPT - Barb adapter. Done.

As far as the water pipe goes there shouldn't be much to show, cut the line that comes off of it and goes under the turbo to the front. Tap hole for NPT - Barb adapter. Done.

Are you keeping the fitting but just getting rid of the waterline, then tapping the fitting? Not sure what size fitting I need to get for that yet. Was planning on going to Home Depot tomorrow to look for something. Is the fitting you got for the t-stat housing the same as the fitting you bought for the waterpipe? Lastly, what size hose did you get? Do you remember? Thanks.

Nice to see a turbo thread thats not about Holesets (damn cheep ass DSMers ROFL )

Not the DSM86 but I've had my DSM82 for a year. My previous turbo was a 3052. For a mainly street car, ever since the DSM82 came out, I thought it was about the ultimate for an all around turbo. Its still what I would call daily streetable but can lay down some nice numbers if need be.

Haven't really been motivated in drag racing for the last few years, but I'm hoping to turn some corners this year.

I never had 700+hp goals, so I didn't feel the additional lag of the 86 was worth it too me as the 82 would be more then enough for my goals. Most boost I've run is ~35psi. My setup isn't really designed for peak power, but rather a nice large powerband but at that level I'm still flowing 60lb/min :thumb:

Kyle is that you?

Anyway thanks for supporting us and if you have any questions we're here to help.

-Michael

Not sure who you're talking to but Scott here.

As for my build, it got slow again. I won custody of my daughter, but i'm still paying child support AND taking care of her. So the car is on the back burner for now :( I'll post when I do anything new.

Kyle is that you?

Anyway thanks for supporting us and if you have any questions we're here to help.

-Michael

Yes it is!

Amber also worked with me when I had my fitment issues. I ended up going with an FP O2 housing to solve my problem.

Glad it worked out that way, although I think side exit right out the front bumper is awesome, I enjoy my quiet exhaust.

On a side note: DSM86 on a 2.3L?.... Sounds like a good way to eat trannies ROFL
What RPM are you seeing 32psi (peak torque) on the DSM82 with that Evo III IM and 264 grinds?

I'm just curious because I plan on running the HTA3586 (same as the DSM86 in a different hotside) in the Tial .80 housing hanging off of my 2.3 with a Evo III IM / 272 grinds and killing tranny's is my biggest worry. Especially since this Shep IV was more than HALF of what I paid for my DSM.

What RPM are you seeing 32psi (peak torque) on the DSM82 with that Evo III IM and 264 grinds?

I'm just curious because I plan on running the HTA3586 (same as the DSM86 in a different hotside) in the Tial .80 housing hanging off of my 2.3 with a Evo III IM / 272 grinds and killing tranny's is my biggest worry. Especially since this Shep IV was more than HALF of what I paid for my DSM.

Not sure off hand, I'll have to see what I can find for logs. I know I typically see 20psi ~4500 (the 3052 was ~4100), with the Kelfords (spool time increased ~100 rpms when I went from FP1X's to the Kelfords, w/the 3052). Nothing has been done with the tune or tweeking my EBC to try & increase spool either. So probably ~5K range for 32psi but I'll double check.

One of the locals runs a 2.3 w/the 86, he's killed two trannies now (both top of the line TRE I believe). Stipped 3rd once & then stripped 4th. Though he does alot of 3rd & 4th pulls & typically runs 35-45psi. Think he's trying Jacks with the HD 3/4 next.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back