The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

An unorthodox 2G cooling system thermostat option

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murdertalon

Proven Member
Jul 7, 2016
East side, Washington
If your having thermostat issues (I feel bad for you son I got 99 problems, but temps ain't one.)
or over heating due to thermostat issues (like I was) I am adding another option for thermostat application.

Firstly after some research I would recommend using an OEM Mitsubishi thermostat because the "run of the mill" replacements (local parts store) are not reliable.

If you are having overheating issues on a 2G DSM you should look at some things:
1. Coolant cap sealing / overall cooling loop holding pressure
2. Thermostat functioning
3. Ducting (this was not my issue as I am still stock smic)
4. Efficiency of cooling loop IE: radiator performance and cooling loop capability

If you want something that performs even better than the stock DSM OEM mitsubishi part consider what I did. I used an EVO9 thermostat and cut the flange to fit into a DSM 2G housing. After researching what options I had I found that using a much lower temp thermostat was not going to give me temp range I want and could negatively effect fuel mileage. So other options.. What about a larger opening for the coolant flow? What about a thermostat that is more reliable because it has a center section that is mostly silicone? *just looked up the OEM DSM one also appears to have some sort of either gasket or silicone application going on in the center?

Alternative option is EVO9 part # MD363571 80c thermostat cut to fit a DSM.

OPENING TEMP: 80 C ± 1.5 C (176 F ± 3 F)
FULL-OPENING TEMP: 93 C (199 F)
AMOUNT OF VALVE LIFT: 9.5 mm (0.37") or more

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I achieved this cut with a vice and a dremel cutting wheel just cutting a small section at a time. I used measuring calipers to make sure the size was going to work and when I was done it was within 1mm round after light filing.

My temps observed over the past 4 months show that my cooling loop on the stock radiator is more than enough to cool my car efficiently even in 100* weather. The highest temp I have seen is 210* which is where my fans kick in and then lowers the temp. I have seen zero over heating issues and my temp gauge stays in the lower half (I use a logger to see actual temps) but the gauge staying below half is new to this thermostat. After my experience with an autozone "fail safe" thermostat I wont be putting one of those in any vehicle in the future.

Not trying to give you a hard time, however my 6 dsm's in the past and 2 current in Texas that see over 110 degree temps have never had any cooling system issues running a factory temp thermostat. I regularly idle at lunch with my ac on for 45 minutes.

A thermostat is nothing but a shutoff spring that releases cool liquid into the engine at a predetermined temperature. Heat shielding around the manifold and turbo charger need to be retained for optimal performance

Not trying to give you a hard time, however my 6 dsm's in the past and 2 current in Texas that see over 110 degree temps have never had any cooling system issues running a factory temp thermostat. I regularly idle at lunch with my ac on for 45 minutes.
A thermostat is nothing but a shutoff spring that releases cool liquid into the engine at a predetermined temperature. Heat shielding around the manifold and turbo charger need to be retained for optimal performance

Well like you said OEM is decent. I was lead down this path because of the fire in my car killing the first thermostat (previous owner grounded battery on hood battery went boom), the second one got super heated in an over heat condition and I have no idea if the first one was even OEM or not after looking at proper OEM ones now I doubt it. The second one just stopped opening, yes it was an autozone special.. live and learn haha. Glad to hear your rocking the OEM in those temps and everything is going well :thumb:. That leaves me some hope for the standard OEM unit. This one does seem to provide more flow through the unit which could be to some benefit it may not be necessary just another option.

Totally agree with keeping heat shields, mine was missing when I got my car I have since improvised to make one. They do make a big difference.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back