The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Alternator belt replacing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CalIOnwed_sdot

Probationary Member
Nov 17, 2009
Bellevue, Nebraska
Hey

i was driving on a long stretch and decided to get on it...and when i did got to about 80 my alternator belt ripped of and now have a new ..how do i go about putting the new one on...or would it be easier to go to the shop and have them do it?

Make sure you disconnect the negative terminal from the battery and make sure you unplug all the wires to the alternator

1st, You wanna loosen the 12mm tensioner circled in red, this will allow you to move the alternator up/down so that you can slip off the belt..

Then just slip the new belt over the pulleys, re-tension and done...

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Power steering:

Behind the pump pulley you will see two bolts vertically. The pulley has two slots on it. These are so you can get a ratchet on there and loosen these pivot bolts. Directly on the other side of the pump there is 1 maybe 2 bolts that you also have to loosen (also pivot bolts). Once they are all loose move the pump towards the back of the car and slip the belt off. You have to pull the alt belt off first.

To DSM_PWR:

Why does he need to diconnect the battery or any connectors from the alternator? Ive done the belt many times and never had to disconnect anything electrical. All this is going to cause is about 50 miles of stalling and almost dying because the ECU is "resetting" itself.

Why does he need to diconnect the battery or any connectors from the alternator? Ive done the belt many times and never had to disconnect anything electrical. All this is going to cause is about 50 miles of stalling and almost dying because the ECU is "resetting" itself.

Because if you ground the alternator with your wrench or ratchet, which is easy to do while loosening the pivot bolt, sparks will fly and you'll blow your 80 amp Alternator fuse. I've done it. Since then I always disconnect the battery.

CalIOnwed_sdo, Also don't over tighten that pivot bolt as it WILL sheer off.

How do you ground an alternator? You mean by accidentally touching the positive wire that goes to the alternator and craeting an arc with the wrench?

Ever touch a rachet from the alt, to chassis/ss o2 housing?

Its a good practice to always disconnect the terminal, thats the "Professional" way to work on cars ;)...
especially, when working around electrical

Hmm I didn't know this about the alternator. I'm almost postive I've touched the alternators case with a tool and onto the frame (it's so tight in that area) and Ive never seen sparks or any negative effects.

its deffinatly always a good idea to remove the negative cable when working on anything, especially electrical, crazy things happen and you dont wanna take any chances...

Because if you ground the alternator with your wrench or ratchet, which is easy to do while loosening the pivot bolt, sparks will fly and you'll blow your 80 amp Alternator fuse. I've done it. Since then I always disconnect the battery.

Happened to me, had no idea my alt was not working and when I was driving next to two cops and all my lights started dimmin and I lost power, looking like a moron haha.

Touching a wrench from the case to the body/ground will do nothing. Touching a wrench from the positive of the alternator to any sort of ground or the case will cause a light show. It is always good practice to disconnect the battery when working with anything electrical just in case. From experience though I never do when replacing belts.
**Out of curiosity I just went outside and tried this. Touching the case to anything will not do anything.**

I didn't mean the alternator case, I was talking about the positive wire.

When one end of the wrench is on the alternator bolt (grounded) and the other makes contact with the hot wire, it completes the circuit, grounding the hot wire and causing problems.

Ive done it too my wrench hit it and there goes a fuse, why not unplug it it takes 2 seconds to unplug? Id rather do that than chase down burned wires, or fuses.

I didn't mean the alternator case, I was talking about the positive wire.

When one end of the wrench is on the alternator bolt (grounded) and the other makes contact with the hot wire, it completes the circuit, grounding the hot wire and causing problems.

Pff! Somebody has to be very retarded to do that when doing a belt...

So Im going back to my main idea, dont diconnect the battery when you're doing the belt. I think even being careless theres a small chance you will touch the pos to the chassis, but we all have our ways of doing things. :thumb:

Pff! Somebody has to be very retarded to do that when doing a belt...

So Im going back to my main idea, dont diconnect the battery when you're doing the belt. I think even being careless theres a small chance you will touch the pos to the chassis, but we all have our ways of doing things. :thumb:

This is actually very easy to do when loosening the nut at the bottom of the alternator. You are pulling it up and it can swing and hit the terminal if the rubber cover is missing.

Pff! Somebody has to be very retarded to do that when doing a belt...:

It is very common, 4 dsmers just stated that they have done this i the past. We are trying to help the original poster out so he doesn't do the same thing. What you do on your car is up to you, but don't call us retarded for trying to help him.

I would disconnect the battery cable when working on anything electrical. Always better safe than sorry. And it doesnt harm anything other than you have to reset your presets on your aftermarket radio that was installed incorrectly by your "free best buy installation" (last time I ever do that, even for free) ROFL and as far as the belts its really quite simple you loosen the adjuster bolt on the pulley (PS and A/C belt) and then loosen the tensioner pulley and slide the belt off. Then do the reverse to re install. I suggest you go get a Haynes or Chiltons manual for easy repairs like this, they are what $20 bucks? They have nice pictures to go along, and after one time you probably wont need it for that againg, but its still nice. Just my .02

It is very common, 4 dsmers just stated that they have done this i the past. We are trying to help the original poster out so he doesn't do the same thing. What you do on your car is up to you, but don't call us retarded for trying to help him.

You're right, "retarded" was a poor choice of words. I apologize.

This is actually very easy to do when loosening the nut at the bottom of the alternator. You are pulling it up and it can swing and hit the terminal if the rubber cover is missing.

This statement is so true.

It only takes a few seconds to disconnect the negative terminal on the battery and it can prevent a lot of headaches as well as personal injury.

Old thread back from the dead I realize, but need pics. Our 99 GS Spyder threw its alternator belt the other night but we managed to limp it home. Bought new belts but need pics and step by step to install them. Thank you

Old thread back from the dead I realize, but need pics. Our 99 GS Spyder threw its alternator belt the other night but we managed to limp it home. Bought new belts but need pics and step by step to install them. Thank you
Unless you already know the cause you should find out why it threw. One common cause is a bad harmonic balancer. Belt install is very straightforward. Around the water pump, alt and harmonic balancer. Alternator has a built in assembly to tension and hold. No prying necessary. I'm assuming you have some mechanical knowledge already.

Thank you. After further investigation learned that all the belts were original. I decided to replace all 3 once I got into it. Some mechanical knowledge...yes. As of today, the car is running excellent.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back