The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Alternator/Battery Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hypergenesis

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 21, 2010
Tracy, California
So randomly my car started to not start when I cranked the engine it would take multiple cranks to do so as well now my main 3 causes that I have narrowed this all down to are the battery, the alternator, and the battery terminal.

I had my battery tested today at its only reading at 11v after I had drove it for about 5 Minutes.

After this test I also did the charging system test by turning the car on, getting a reading of Volts, then turning on as much electric based things as possible and the volts didn't stay consistant at 14v dropped down to 11v and 10v.

Now I know that test usually says that its the charging system but if the batter is already getting close to dying would it yield the same results as if the charging system was failing?

Thanks
Armin

If you tested the alt. output with everything on and at idle, I would expect to see the charging voltage go down a bunch. The alt. doesn't spin fast enough to keep up at idle with a huge demand.
Best bet would be to get the battery tested at a local auto parts store or even better would be have the whole system checked with a 'midtronics' type charging system tester. That way, the battery, starter and alternator will ALL be tested in the car. That is the most reliable way to be certain of what is or isn't bad.
Sounds like the hard starting problem may not be related, unless the battery is weak enough that the voltage drops too low during cranking. You are on the right path with taking care of the charging problem first !

Well the starter is brand new and I already stated that I took it to get the battery tested it was sitting at about 11-12v when it was off which the guy told me was really low.

Now that entire alternator idea is meant to check if your charging system is working properly from what I understand a good working alternator is meant to keep your battery atleast close to the 14v its suppose to be not drop down 3-4v close to 10v on the battery when idleing with all of that on.

My main question to basically determine whether my alternator needs to be replaced or not is that would the charging system show signs of failure if the battery is close to dying?

No matter how bad is your battery,,, (The Alternator has to keep up).

If you see, up and down Volts,,,,,,, Then your alternator is going off.

May be, I would assume that, the Alternator doesn't keep up enough to keep the battery at 12v.

So, when you turn off the Car, the battery doesn't get full load it.

In my opinion........

I would say, go for the Alternator first, and see if there is any changes on the Battery.

Quick Advice.

If you are using your Stock Alternator.

Don't replace it with the same 75amp alternator.

Get a Galant 90amp, It is the same, same connector, same size, but more amps........

I used to have to many problems with the stock (75amp), until I got the galant (90amp).

May be, I would assume that, the Alternator doesn't keep up enough to keep the battery at 12v.

In my opinion........

I would say, go for the Alternator first, and see if there is any changes on the Battery.

Quick Advice.

Get a Galant 90amp, It is the same, same connector, same size, but more amps........

I used to have to many problems with the stock (75amp), until I got the galant (90amp).

Still need to order one my bank F'd me over and now I dont have cash to buy a alternator because of it LOL.

Also tonight for some reason when I cranked it it turned off died for a fraction of a second and then turned back on.

Ima do this tommarow since I have the day off and will update from there

Thanks for the info though
Armin

In my opinion........

Quick Advice.

what model of galant has that alternator? VR4? or a modern one ?:confused:

Did you check your alternator fuse? On my 92 Eclipse I just sold, it had a very similar issue. The fuse in the fuse block in the engine for the altenator blew (or cracked) at was getting enough contact to keep some power up, but not enough to keep the power where it should have been. Swapped out the fuse and it worked perfect.

After some testing tips thanks to luv2rallye Im pretty positive that it comes down to my battery. When the cars off alternator is disconnected it sits at 11.5V and when I turn on the high beams it drops as low as 9V. But with the car on and running and the alternator connected it still sits at 14v.

Thanks Everyone For the help again Pretty sure my issues resolved.

Thanks Again
Armin

When I got my alternator.

I asked for a 96 Galant and ask for a 90 amp.

But I think,.the best wey to order it is like (gofer) said.

Jusr make sure it is a 90amp.

Thanks, so if I get the 90A alternator, can I reuse the same 100 Amp. fuse ?

Im having problems too with my alternator, so its a good upgrade. . . thanks !

Is there a similar issue on the 1g with the alternator?

Well even now the voltages are still not reading what they should at idle its still sitting at 13.6V I had my alternator tested and everythings good, I switched the alternator fuse and I have a brand new battery WHAT ELSE COULD CAUSE MY PROBLEM???

Someone please help it annoys me when somethings wrong with my car...

Thanks again
Armin

Well even now the voltages are still not reading what they should at idle its still sitting at 13.6V I had my alternator tested and everythings good, I switched the alternator fuse and I have a brand new battery WHAT ELSE COULD CAUSE MY PROBLEM???

Someone please help it annoys me when somethings wrong with my car...

Thanks again
Armin

Well.

13.6v at Idle is good enough.

Is there something that is not working good?.

Your accessories, Starter, Lights, Misfire or something else?.

For a 1g get a 90 amp 92-94 galant 2.4 sohc (4g64) alt. Mitsu part # MD354786(may supercede)

For a 2g get a 90 amp 96-98 galant alt. Mitsu part # MD327535(may supercede)

I just ordered a NEW one today from Mitusbishi for $230+ tax for my 2g.

I have a 2001 galant in my driveway and looked it up on auto zone. It says its 85 amps and looks like the exact same plug as my 2g dsm. The galant alternator is 1 1/2 lbs lighter to boot! I think it sounds like a good upgrade to me. Lighter and more powerful.

Thanks for tip! :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back