The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

1G After change clutch and pressure plate, appear that sound:(

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sakroda

Proven Member
May 3, 2016
İstanbul, Europe
Can you explain where this sound comes from?
I changed the clutch and pressure plate after then full depressed the car and smoke came from engine i guess it came from clutch and car could not accelaration after then I got that sound I don t know where this sound comes from:(
I measured the all cylinders they are the same.Before that sound I had same compression values because of drilled my bore size 85 to 87 before:( that s why I get 135 psi around

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-08-29 at 18.19.51.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-08-29 at 18.19.51.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 23
It kind of sounds like rod knock but it may also be clutch chatter.

Did you only change the clutch disc and pressure plate? If so, was the engine making this knocking sound BEFORE you changed the clutch, or only after?

If you also did other repairs along with the clutch swap, what were they?

Lastly, what kind of clutch disc and pressure plate did you install? Was it brand new? What was the condition of your flywheel? Did you resurface it? You have to resurface it every time you install a new clutch kit, and it needs to be within spec. Stock flywheel step height is 0.610" or 15.494mm. The LOWEST step height you can run is 0.608" or 15.443mm.

If the clutch disc isn't seating properly against the flywheel and/or pressure plate, it will chatter. Additionally, some new clutches are very noisy during the break-in period.

Please answer all these questions so we can determine if it was from the clutch or not!

what a beatiful answer:) thanks for reply
Yes i only change clutch and pressure plate not flywheel because I can not find flywheel in my country..after little research non turbo flywheel and AWD flywheel has same diameters but I learnt this information after replace the flywheel and When i try to move at 1st hear car was shaking I thought flywheel is gone and i saw cracks I could not resurface operation and I did not anything about flywheel just put it to engine...I used xtd clutch and pressure plate I know it s sucks:( you said about step heights pls can you show me how to measure that I mean I don t know where to get measure from flywheel..I said car was shaking so this vibration makes rod knock problem?

Do you have any pictures of your old flywheel and your new one? What about the clutch kit you bought? What kind of car do you have exactly, is it FWD or AWD, 6 bolt or 7 bolt?

Usually non turbo flywheels are completely flat, they don't have a step height at all, and using a turbo clutch kit on it will not work at all. I am 99% sure all US non-turbo 1Gs use a flat flywheel.

Our European non-turbo 2Gs use a stepped flywheel, but their surface diameter is 215mm, and they are all 7 bolt flywheels. Whereas the turbo flywheels are always 225mm diameter.

Look at this picture, it should explain to you in more detail what I'm talking about.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

you asked you had rod kbock sound before i did not have that kind of noise after replace new clutch and pressure plate so it happened that
my car is awd eagle talon 1990 yea i know 225 mm issue but clutch was 225 mm

Attachments

• 05C5A2EE-E316-41C0-AC70-4C23E676A9A1.jpeg
    05C5A2EE-E316-41C0-AC70-4C23E676A9A1.jpeg
    852.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 70519304-9AF0-4911-855B-79B84C70CCC1.jpeg
    70519304-9AF0-4911-855B-79B84C70CCC1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
  • 206FCBB2-4324-40E3-BA47-698AB047345C.jpeg
    206FCBB2-4324-40E3-BA47-698AB047345C.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 28
  • EE4D20D3-3742-4E00-A11C-6FD641869DD9.jpeg
    EE4D20D3-3742-4E00-A11C-6FD641869DD9.jpeg
    706.5 KB · Views: 21
Probably not your case but i had two flywheel bolts back out to hand tight on my old car and it sounded alot like rod knock..easiest check is to remove the dust shield on bottom and see if the flywheel moves loosely..that's how I figured out mine wasn't rod knock after dropping pan and two rod caps to inspect LOL
Thank you for your time, Jason Penny

Probably not your case but i had two flywheel bolts back out to hand tight on my old car and it sounded alot like rod knock..easiest check is to remove the dust shield on bottom and see if the flywheel moves loosely..that's how I figured out mine wasn't rod knock after dropping pan and two rod caps to inspect LOL
Thank you for your time, Jason Penny
thank you I will check it..

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back