The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

AEM wideband install

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolf alchemy

Proven Member
Mar 4, 2014
kouts, Indiana
I have the stock ecu. 90 laser.

I bought a wide band and the turbo is out of the car. I am planning on keeping the original O2 and drill through the turbos O2 housing near the bottom where the down pipe connects. Reasons being are posts I've read state the wideband O2 doesn't last long at high temps and I have the original ecu still. When I get eprom I'll remove the stock O2 and bolt that shut. For the time being the wideband is wanting to be installed to alert me to any problems that may pop up. All opionions and advice are welcome.
Haven't drilled yet, but I feel that the bolt to weld on is odd. I thought it was supposed to be a rounded bung and not a bolt. Plus it seems slightly too tall as to where the widebands O2's tip will be poking into the O2 housing.

An exhaust shop charged me 10 bucks to weld the bung in; the specs for the bung should be easy to find; I got my bung on ebay for a wopping $3. aem has the distance from turbo sec online but make sure its placed before the flex pipe if you have one of those.

I'll take a picture of my O2 housing and circle the spot I think would be perfect. Il post it in a hour or less.

there wasn't any location instructions On O2 location. Only wiring instruction. Plus the further away from the exhaust ports on the head, the longer it takes to compute, is what I read On some wideband installation threads

Straight from the aem website
http://aemelectronics.com/files/instructions/30-4110 Digital Wideband UEGO Gauge.pdf

A weld-in M18 X 1.5 boss is supplied for sensor installation. Mount the O2 sensor in the exhaust system at least 18 inches downstream from the exhaust port. If you anticipate high EGT's (over 800C), run a turbocharger, run at high RPM for extended periods of time or plan on running leaded race fuel then you must mount the sensor at least 36 inches or more downstream of the exhaust port as all of these can cause the sensor to overheat. On turbocharged engines the UEGO sensor must be installed after the turbo charger, if not, the pressure differential will greatly affect the accuracy of the unit. For accurate readings, the sensor must be mounted before catalytic converters and/or auxiliary air pumps. To prevent collection of liquids between the sensor housing and sensor element during the cold start phase, the installation angle should be inclined at least 10° from horizontal with the electrical connection upwards, see below. (Figure 8)

This is where I'd like to put it. I can remove my down pipe and put it slightly lower, but since I quickly jump between on throttle and off. I'm kinda afraid of putting it too far away from the engine even if it's only for afr. later down the road I'll be hooking it up to the ecu.

Attachments

• IMAG0019.jpg
    IMAG0019.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 244
well I got my answer. Thank you, and this is why I questioned instead of acting. Thanks guys for the assistance.

Found the instructions and it was writhing the products page. Not sure why APSX wideband didn't send any of it. But now I know what to do.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-04-22-18-53-03.png
    Screenshot_2015-04-22-18-53-03.png
    134.5 KB · Views: 193
It might be further away from the exhaust ports, but the exhaust gas will still make the extra 12"-15" journey faster than you can react, and you spare the sensor some more from heat (as that's what you you're worried about, as mentioned in your first post). You're watching the road, not the gauge.. your reaction time will be measured in the seconds on peripheral, if you catch it at all.

Where you're thinking of putting it creates a fairly significant restriction with the sensor head poking in there and you're not going to be any better off heat-wise than putting it in the stock location. You're just making things worse when they don't need to be. You'll lose exhaust gas velocity by sticking that thumb in there.

A billion people run it in the recommended downpipe location, and a quarter of that probably run it in the stock sensor location.

.. though I run an MTX-L, not an AEM anymore, so I can't say how the sensors that are included with AEM kits hold up.

It might be further away from the exhaust ports, but the exhaust gas will still make the extra 12"-15" journey faster than you can react, and you spare the sensor some more from heat (as that's what you you're worried about, as mentioned in your first post). You're watching the road, not the gauge.. your reaction time will be measured in the seconds on peripheral, if you catch it at all.

Where you're thinking of putting it creates a fairly significant restriction with the sensor head poking in there and you're not going to be any better off heat-wise than putting it in the stock location. You're just making things worse when they don't need to be. You'll lose exhaust gas velocity by sticking that thumb in there.

A billion people run it in the recommended downpipe location, and a quarter of that probably run it in the stock sensor location.

.. though I run an MTX-L, not an AEM anymore, so I can't say how the sensors that are included with AEM kits hold up.

the stock O2 is right up next to the turbo, and it lasts....so....well really what's the difference between the two. That's what I don't understand, and why I don't understand why you normally wouldn't install it in the stock location or near it. I'm a complete noob when it comes to the hard core upgrades.

If you install it in the stock location expect your gas millage to be shit mine was terrible around 5 mpg the stock 02 is dirty so replacing the clean wideband one in it's location is going to read very different. You would also have to split into the stock 02 wire which is more work.

Just install it in the downpipe like this, this is my downpipe that I installed mine in and had perfect readings.

http://imgur.com/B5nwSLB

If you install it in the stock location expect your gas millage to be sh** mine was terrible around 5 mpg the stock 02 is dirty so replacing the clean wideband one in it's location is going to read very different. You would also have to split into the stock 02 wire which is more work.

Just install it in the downpipe like this, this is my downpipe that I installed mine in and had perfect readings.

http://imgur.com/B5nwSLB

Originally I wanted it near the O2. But since I found the instructions I'm am following the instructions .

I mount all my widebands in the stock location or in the general area. The closer the wideband is to the motor, the more accurate the readings are for the given rpm. As you start placing it further away, it increases the delay. That coupled with the fact that wideband sensors are dirt cheap why not? I've been running the same sensor for years.

I would hold off and install it with you get some tuning software because honestly it wont be beneficial without one.

And it would be beneficial. For instance, if I hear a pop when when on throttle and I start going lean then chances are there's a boost leak. Will it tell me exactly what's wrong if so.etching happens. No, but it will definitely help narrow down the problem. Since I got it, why not get it installed and ready for when I get a eprom, which is next.

If you blew a coupler, you'll feel the car driving like crap before you notice the wideband readings, but if you install it now it wont hurt anything.

But me personally, I would wait. Why? Since you plan on removing the stock sensor (assuming you go narrowband sim w/ ecmlink) you'll save yourself the hassle of wasting efforts of welding a secondary bung only to plug it back up in the future.

If you install it in the stock location expect your gas millage to be sh** mine was terrible around 5 mpg the stock 02 is dirty so replacing the clean wideband one in it's location is going to read very different. You would also have to split into the stock 02 wire which is more work.

By different, do you mean better and more accurately? If anything, your mpg should be more of a direct reflection of how your car is performing, unless the sensor you installed was buggered from the get go and couldn't report narrowband properly to the ECU in a way it understood..

If your going to put it in the o2 housing put in the stock location, your going to have a hard time finding some place that can weld a bung on to the cast housing. Tons of people have it on the down pipe , its not going to be a problem.

I had my piping pop but the pipe didn't completely come off. It was leaking but not too badly. So in some cases it helps. I didn't say it helped in every situation.

I have heard a pop and car ran like crap under boost. Was mostly fine driving, so I checked here then checked my piping. One barely came off but it was still on. So in that kind of instance. Yes the wideband would help.

No. It causes rich because the said amount of air coming in at the 1g mas is read before the turbo. There for the lost air can't be counted, and the engine runs rich.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back