The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

420A AC Condesor Delete, PS Hardline Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLACK'98DSM

5+ Year Contributor
Feb 9, 2019
Alabama
I've had the AC deleted for a while now. I never removed the condenser core and I think It's finally time to do so. I noticed there is a power steering hardline that mounts to it. I was wondering if it's ok to just leave it free hanging there? I thought about just connecting the 2 hoses together in the engine bay and removing the hardline. But maybe it's a good idea to leave it there for cooling purposes?

there is a retaining piece (20) that bolts to the middle piece (5) of the radiator support. Im surprised you even have the power steering still installed. At first, when you remove it, it will be noticeable but it only takes a few days of driving to get used to it. Really its only when you turn the wheel when the car isn't moving that it is noticeable at all.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

So it mounts to the radiator support? Not the condenser? That's good news then.

Yea I've driven the car without PS a few times. It really isn't that bad but now that I have a smaller diameter steering wheel it'd be a little harder. And plus my rack and pump are both new so it would feel like a waste if I don't use them for a least a little while longer.

yup a smaller steering wheel would make it pretty shitty if you were pulling out of a parking space.

i drove a 95 mustang gt for a while without power steering. all the weight is on the front tires so it was a total bi*** to move the wheel when not in motion. makes driving anything 4 cylinder w/o PS seem easy

So it mounts to the radiator support?
Yes the power steering hardline mounts to item #5 in @dustyboner's pic. The reason the hardline is so long and routes there, is because it's Mitsubishi's crappy way of trying to add cooling to the power steering system. I removed everything AC related in my RS minus the stuff under the dash, with no consequences to the power steering system. So you should be ok.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back