The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

A/T DSM finally in the 9's

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VRC Racing

20+ Year Contributor
Jun 27, 2002
Ijamsville, Maryland
It has been a long hard fight but I finally reached my 3 year old goal of putting an awd auto tranny DSM into the 9's.

First pass of the day at Maple Grove, IDRC event.

1.554 60ft
4.146 330ft
[email protected] 660ft
8.109 1000ft
[email protected] 1320ft

The motor ate a ring during the pass on the #2 cylinder. So that finished our day.

I want to thank John @ IPT for building me a fantastic transmission that has held together all year. The engine has been in and out of the car at least four times and the tranny just keeps working.

-Russ

Good work, keep it coming. Gives us A/T boys a little hope and something to admire :thumb: .

--Kyle :talon:

Damn....I remeber me sayin in a post like last week that it would be cool if u got 9s next season..Damn that was hella of a lot quicker than i thought..That is just insane very nice man, Now i should say maybe 8s next season then u would be hangin with shep :thumb:

VRC Racing said:
It has been a long hard fight but I finally reached my 3 year old goal of putting an awd auto tranny DSM into the 9's.

First pass of the day at Maple Grove, IDRC event.

1.554 60ft
4.146 330ft
[email protected] 660ft
8.109 1000ft
[email protected] 1320ft

The motor ate a ring during the pass on the #2 cylinder. So that finished our day.

I want to thank John @ IPT for building me a fantastic transmission that has held together all year. The engine has been in and out of the car at least four times and the tranny just keeps working.

-Russ

Russ, it did seem like a long hard fight. You guys worked your asses off. :thumb:

I only had the easy part of the project to do :shhh:

I can't wait to see what the next goal that will be accomplished will be. I know there is a lot more in that buggy of yours.

-John

We had a 2.3 stroker in the car for a while then replaced it with a 4g64. Both of these motors failed from trying to turn them too tight. So now I'm back to the good ole 2.0

-Russ

Congrats as well. Many of us A/T's really look up to you. I know when I was rebuilding my engine I often sourced your parts web page for info on what to get. :thumb:

Using IPT's newly advertised welded center diff? How about the front/rear diffs?

Yes, the run was done on nitrous. All my passes are done using nitrous.

The front diff is the stock open diff, the center diff is welded, the rear diff is a stock LSD.

-Russ

VRC Racing said:
We had a 2.3 stroker in the car for a while then replaced it with a 4g64. Both of these motors failed from trying to turn them too tight. So now I'm back to the good ole 2.0

-Russ

Awesome run!! :thumb:

What do you mean by "turning them too tight" in reference to the stroker and 4g64? too high RPM?

Bill

Billios996 said:
Awesome run!! :thumb:

What do you mean by "turning them too tight" in reference to the stroker and 4g64? too high RPM?

Bill

Yea, the long stroke motors don't like 9000 rpm. :)

-Russ

WOW, Congrats Russ!! you guys at VRC are like gods for us A/T guys, I know, im on the list..... need to get my time better :cool: Running an IPT trans, thouse are the guys to go to!! Planing on it this winter. great job, now I realy want to get this thing modded :D

You AWD guys take traction for granted :rolleyes: j/k.... Russ, any idea when you'll be able to back up the 9 with a lower ET?
Mike

VRC Racing said:
Yea, the long stroke motors don't like 9000 rpm. :)

-Russ

Did you look into the de-stroked 4g64? A little more displacement with favorable rod ratio.
Bill

Who knows....but that's his business..
Since you brought this thread back from the dead, I'll add that I now have a 95 A/T AWD that will be a purposely built drag car....probably not to Russ' extent though...
Let's see what he does this year...

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back