The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

a/f for cruzing around with e85 what are you running?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbo addict

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 17, 2005
Omaha, Nebraska
I just converted my 1989 mirage turbo (1.6liter) to e85 and am wondering what air fuels ratios you guys are running. Not rescaling the wideband I am getting 16 to 1 and up to 19or 20 to 1 a/f ratios and the car is running great! (this is 3300rpm and below just cruzing around no boost) I am also getting really good gas mileage (close to 30mpg) and I am not having any promlems. Is there some reason that I shouldn't run that lean or no? The car doesn't over heat and drives around fine. What do you think??
thanks!

I'm running mine at 16.2:1 during cruise and light load. Do you know of any other stations besides the bucky's on 108th and L (m actually) that carries E85?? I alwasy have to run to the same place when i want to fill up, but the octane is well worth it :)

Ive heard of guys burning up valves running cruising afr's like that on some other cars other than dsms. I would play it safe and tune to 14.7-15.5, but thats just me.

I'm running mine at 16.2:1 during cruise and light load. Do you know of any other stations besides the bucky's on 108th and L (m actually) that carries E85?? I alwasy have to run to the same place when i want to fill up, but the octane is well worth it :)

There is a gas station off of cornhusker and kennedy fwy across from walmart on the way to bellevue west. and another one on 192 and center a kum and go. and one more on 13 and just north of leavenworth. those are the only ones that I know of. other than 108th bp.

PS. the 192 and center is usually the cheepest. 2 weeks ago it was 2.49 but it just went up to 2.68 when I was there last.

I am soon hopefully going to be running E85 and I was wondering the same thing.

Yeah I know what a/f I should be at but I would like some people's opinions on what they run and why

How's the knock, timing look like? Thanks

To lean.. I run mine around 14.2 -14.9

Too lean for you maybe but i'm just fine with it. I do it on purpose. Honda experimented with "lean burn" vehicles in the late 90's early 2k erra and they had cars running as lean as 22:1 during highway cruise and under warm up once the cylinders got warm enough for teh fuel not to stick to the ports. Those cars were meant to last 100K miles + so i believe i'll be alright on 16.2:1. Hell on long road trips on the highway i've gotten away with as lean as 17-19:1 on pump fuel and when i tore teh engine down there were no signs of damage from running lean. It's running lean under higher load that causes the problems

Ive heard of guys burning up valves running cruising afr's like that on some other cars other than dsms. I would play it safe and tune to 14.7-15.5, but thats just me.

Regardless of the fuel you are using, your Theoretical Flame Temperature or combustion temperatures will be the highest at the stoichometric value of the fuel. On either side (rich or lean) you will actually have lower combustion temperatures.

Factory cars cruise at stoich due to emission regulations. An lambda of 1.0 for any fuel typically produces the least NOx emissions.

You can run cars pretty much as lean as you want at crusing loads to the point that they are stumbling around without any fear of damage. Its pretty much impossible to blow a car up while it is idleing or under cruising loads.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back