The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G '99 GS Spyder Convertible SOHC cam search

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markeesp

Probationary Member
Apr 22, 2021
Akron, Ohio
Hello peoples- what up? So I recently bought my first Mitsubishi Eclipse. It is a '99 Spyder GS convertible with a 2.4L 5 spd. Since I almost ran over and O2 with a V6 automatic in it yesterday on an Ohio interstate now I'm very interested in installing a cam in search of a lopey idle but that will still pass our stupid Ohio E- Check test. I do not wish to modify the valve train any further than a cam and whatever else will be incidental or necessary. So far the only mods that I have done are to delete the resonator and replace the intermediate pipe with a 3" one and a 3" inlet stainless muffler with dual 2 1/2" outlets. I also am curious as to how I have seen a couple of posts or threads concerning the convertible not having exactly the same 2.4 L engine as the hard top but one slightly larger in displacement and if anyone can verify this? One of my next quests is to gap an n/a BRZ as this thing is *stupid* fast for being nearly bone-stock. Brand-new Foresters and V6 Chargers are just not that fun to beat up on any more! 😉

I'm very interested in installing a cam in search of a lopey idle but that will still pass our stupid Ohio E- Check test.
There aren't many cam options available for the 4g64. If you do find one that you like, I doubt anyone can verify that it won't make you fail emissions testing. Most companies advertise their performance parts as "not street legal" or "for racing purposes only". And in most cases, they don't conduct emissions tests on those products. With that being said, I don't see any reason why a mild cam (because you don't want to build the valvetrain) would cause you to fail the testing. Unless they heard the loping (which would be minimal) and decided to fail you.

I also am curious as to how I have seen a couple of posts or threads concerning the convertible not having exactly the same 2.4 L engine as the hard top but one slightly larger in displacement and if anyone can verify this?
The hardtop models all come with a 2 liter (either 4g63 or 420a). And the convertibles come with a 2 liter OR 2.4 liter (GST/X spyder has 4g63, GS spyder has 4g64).

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back