The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

420A 98 eclipse RS N/T engine compatibility

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shavers55

10+ Year Contributor
Feb 27, 2012
san diego, California
Ok, last week i threw a rod going to work. choices are from what ive been told get a new car or get a new engine. Being the fact that i love my eclipse ive decided to get a new engine. Now here is my dilemma. Its either get a another stock 420A or go with an upgraded engine that will be easy to turbo/ handle turbo at high boost. now i have searched this forum and many others numerous amounts of time and i am still in the same place as i was before. CONFUSED! i really just want a definite answer on which engine(s) would be compatible with me doing a swap. i heard the 4G63, then i heard no, then i heard something about a 6 bolt but then was told it was the same thing as a 4G63 and it cant be done. then i read something about the srt-4 engine then i heard no, then something about the 2.4l then i heard no.. so i am asking which engine(s) can i use, and what all would have to be done..im really really really confused and all the help would be appreciated. thanks

Also..i ask ALOT of questions so bare with me once i start receiving replies.

thanks guys

Get another 420a motor. The other options can be done but its very expensive and time consuming. If you are looking to make power, build the 420a block to handle it.

Thanks guys guess ill just stick with the 420A and build upon that now..with what GSTurbo1 just said about the 420A not having crank walk...again this is me and my over researching which leads to being confused i thought it WAS the 420A that got the cases of crank walk..or am i confusing that with the 4G63 7bolt?
But thanks for answering the question though..now i need to start my research in building my 420A...this would lead my to another question then....( guess ill make a new thread for it)

Guess again, 'grasshopper'.....

Please read below:

ALL motors that that have a clutch pushing in on the crankshaft, CAN crankwalk !

Thats understandable, i was asking more in reference to the fact that out of all my research i have been doing, ive read that "the engine i was asking about" had a tendency to crank walk more than others....thanks for NOT clarifying anything

People telling you a 4g63 swap can't be done are lieing through their teeth. Its called a 4g63 out of an evo 8 or 9 they bolt right in but you have to use the transmission out of a evo also and all it takes is a new bell housing on the 420a's transmission here are a link to the swap.

It comes down to cost, are you willing to spend about $4000 on this swap (engine, transmission bellhousing, stronger mounts, ecu, and wiring). That's the only thing that stopped me from doing it was the shear cost of it all. But after I finish college and have about 10k to blow you better believe i am going to do a evo8 swap.

420a to Evo 8 swap - DSM Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum: DSMtalk.com

had a tendency to crank walk more than others....
Sorry on that for my jumping ahead, but this whole crankwalk issue is so over bloated due to a simple manufacturer error with the 7 bolt blocks OUT OF THE FACTORY, that it's become like a death plague-scared to own a 7 bolt due to this one fact...

Yet, where a rebuild of a 7 bolt block WITH THE RIGHT COMPONENTS is just as strong as a 6 bolt and even more...and will simply eliminate this idiotic worry of crankwalk.

and have about 10k to blow you better belive i am going to do a evo8 swap.
.. and I bet when you get that $10K, you can find an EVO8 for that price !

People telling you a 4g63 swap cant be done are lieing through their teeth.

Actually you have no clue what you are talking about. There is NO bellhousing that bolts to the 420a transmission that will fit the EVO engine.

The guy that was claiming this DID NOT do the swap himself. He was going off something that someone in an other country was telling him. I was actually a part of that thread back when it was posted in 2008. My username is 1gawd4g63. Go thru and read it instead of going off what the original poster said. I personally busted that guys balls many times in that thread.

You can put an EVO engine in a 2g 420a car, but it involves custom fabrication. It doesn't just bolt in. You would have to use a Galant FWD transmission for a FWD setup or an EVO transmission for AWD.

Putting an EVO engine in a 2gNT is about as simple as putting a k20 Honda engine in a 2g, or putting a 4g63 in a Honda.

so did some searching and i found this guy in my area that wants to sell his eclipse for 600. has the 2.4l in it. would i be able to do the swap from the 420A to the 2.4 and i was just going to use the car as a pig and rob parts then send to the junk yard..would this be a wise move?

so did some searching and i found this guy in my area that wants to sell his eclipse for 600. has the 2.4l in it. would i be able to do the swap from the 420A to the 2.4 and i was just going to use the car as a pig and rob parts then send to the junk yard..would this be a wise move?

It depends on which 2.4l the car has. The Eclipse Spyder GS came with a 4g64 that would be the same as swapping in a 4g63. It could also be a 2.4 cloud car block which is more compatible, but for $600 I kinda doubt that.

it was the GS spyder...so no go on that. well guess ill just stick to the 420A build then...thanks for all you guys help

Actually you have no clue what you are talking about. There is NO bellhousing that bolts to the 420a transmission that will fit the evo engine. The guy that was claiming this DID NOT do the swap himself. He was going off something that someone in an other country was telling him. I was actually a part of that thread back when it was posted in 2008. My username is 1gawd4g63. go thru and read it instead of going off what the original poster said. I personally busted that guys balls many times in that thread.

You can put an evo engine in a 2g 420a car, but it involves custom fabrication. It doesn't just bolt in. You would have to use a galant fwd transmission for a fwd setup or an evo transmission for awd. Putting an evo engine in a 2g is about as simple as putting a k20 honda engine in a 2g, or putting a 4g63 in a honda.

Wrong again there is a guy in america that has a evo 8 swap done to his 420a and does not take custom fab. like you said it does the evo engine will bolt directly up to the n/a 2g dsm mounts. Ill find the link and show you go troll else where.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657756/1997-mitsubishi-eclipse

http://repo.jackmoves.com/v/shawn/Eclipse/evo_swap/progress/?g2_page=10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J-TyFt9-Gk

Wrong again there is a guy in america that has a evo 8 swap done to his 420a and does not take custom fab. like you said it does the evo engine will bolt directly up to the n/a 2g dsm mounts. Ill find the link and show you go troll else where.

Which transmission is used in this swap? I can assure you that the evo engine and transmission DOES NOT just bolt into a 420a car. You will have to HEAVILY modify the rear subframe for the transfer case to fit thru with the evo transmission. I know this all from experience from working on both.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657756/1997-mitsubishi-eclipse

Swap Progress

eclipse 2g evo swap - YouTube

Did you notice that HE CLEARLY MADE HIS OWN MOTOR MOUNTS. Your claim is that it bolted right into the 420a engine bay. Your link that you posted clearly shows that you are wrong about that.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

No one ever said that you can't put the engine in the car in general. As i already said, you can put any engine in any car if you make the mounts for it.

i am the one that is doing the evo swap into a 97 rs shell and i am doing it awd as well.
yes the motor bolt right up .
no i did not MADE MOTOR MOUNTS.

yes it dose bolted right into the 420a engine bay.
but you have to move the tranny mount just like a honda swap
feel free to email me as well

[email protected]

its kinda funny honda guy drop in a 4g63 fwd and awd
and they help each other out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back