1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

96GSX, 6 bolt swap, need help!

Posted by Pierce Wilmoth, Nov 28, 2020

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. Pierce Wilmoth

Pierce Wilmoth Probationary Member

Joined Nov 27, 2020
    Carterville, Georgia
    Ok guys I have looked in the forms and can't seem to find the material needed fir my swap.. I have a 1996 GSX 5 speed, I received the car with a 6 bolt and 7 bolt engine, the 7 is a mess.. previous owner took it apart. I have the 6 bolt on the engine stand and bottom end is together and seems fine, I don't have an oil filter housing, also the engine mount on the timing side has an issue lining up with one hole. Should I just buy a 6 bolt complete engine?? What do I need to change from the 7 bolt to the 6 bolt. I believe my car came factory with a 7 bolt. ill attach pics in a few.

2. josh408

josh408 Proven Member

Joined Jan 29, 2011
    Bay Area, California
    You'll have to grind 1 of the holes off on the motor mount bracket for that to fit. And use a 1g oil filter housing, run an external oil cooler. To fit the 2G head you'll need to have the head stud holes drilled 1mm bigger to fit the 6 bolt head studs. Aside from that I recommend a kiggly crank sensor so you can run the 2G CAS just my personal opinion.

Street Build 4K  4

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    11.935 @ 118.24 · 2G DSM
  3. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    You will need to use your cars stock engine mount on the timing belt side, some grinding is needed to clear the 6 bolt engine components, its well documented if you google 6 bolt in a 2g dsm or something along those lines, its been done hundreds of times successfully.

Drag Race Build 4K  10  24

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
    1990TSIAWDTALON and josh408 like this.
  4. spyderdrifter

spyderdrifter Freelancer

Joined Jul 11, 2009
    Some where, Colorado

2K  2

1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

2K  3